John Muir Opportunities
The John Muir Award is a national environmental award scheme. It encourages people to connect with, enjoy and care for wild
The Award is run by the John Muir Trust and is open to all who can meet the Award Criteria (suggested age: Key Stage 2 and above). You can take part as a group, family or individual. Taking part within the North York Moors National Park will help develop an understanding of this special place and enable you to look after it.
To achieve a John Muir Award everyone taking part needs to complete Four challenges:
- Discover a wild place
- Explore its wildness
- Conserve – take personal responsibility
- Share experiences
The wild places can be schools or centre grounds, local parks, beaches, woods, rivers or mountains.
You'll need to tell us what you're going to do to meet these challenges - find out how to get started.
How to achieve your John Muir Award in the North York Moors National Park
The North York Moors National Park is an ideal place to complete your award. We are delighted to support and work with the John Muir Award.
When planning your John Muir Award, you can make connections with the North York Moors National Park by considering:
- Why the North York Moors is a National Park
- John Muir's connection with National Parks (opens in new window).
- What you think is special about wild places in the North York Moors and how this compares to what we think is special.
- Which habitats and creatures can be found in your wild place?
- How your Conserve activity supports our other conservation efforts
- If you are young person looking for opportunities to help protect the North York Moors join our Young Rangers team
- Who would be interested in sharing your experiences and joining your efforts to conserve the wild places?
Watch a short film about the John Muir Award
This four minute film looks at the links between our National Parks and the John Muir Award. It captures perspectives from teachers, pupils, volunteers and Park staff.
- Looking after
- About us
- How the Authority works
- Meetings and agendas
- Our service to you
- Rights of way
- Press Office
- Job vacancies
- School and group visits