Custom and Self-Build Register
Are you interested in building or commissioning your own bespoke home within the North York Moors National Park?
We are compiling a register of people who may be interested in building their own home in the North York Moors National Park, either on their own or as part of a group or association. We are doing this for four reasons:
- To assess the level of interest from those wishing to build their own homes in the North York Moors National Park;
- To keep a record of individuals and associations so we can notify any potential self-builders if opportunities come up to do so;
- To help inform the development of our planning policies;
- To comply with the Self Build Act 2015 and The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016.
What is custom and self-build housing?
Self-build housing usually means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you build your own home. There may be some overlap between the two – for example, some custom build developers offer the option of a serviced plot where you can design and build your own home as part of a larger scheme. The crucial element is that the person or persons that will eventually occupy the home are the driving force in its design and construction.
What is the register and how will we use information on it?
By signing up, you will help us find out more about the demand for custom build plots in the North York Moors National Park. This would include where people would like their plot to be, the type of house that they would like to build and the way in which they would like to do so. Information collected via this form may be used to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and plots to be brought together.
Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available. Please be aware that self and custom building homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes. The Register is split into Parts 1 and 2, with Part 1 comprising all those applicants who meet the National Park’s local connection criteria. Part 2 of the Register includes applicants who do not meet the criteria, but whose details are held in case circumstances or policy change such that they may become eligible to be included on Part 1.
The register was created on 15 June 2016. It is reviewed annually in consultation with those on it.
How to sign up for the register.
If you would like to register your interest, please complete the registration form, which asks a number of questions to help us establish your requirements:
The Old Vicarage
Before you do this, please ensure that you meet the follow criteria:
- Aged 18 or over
- Are a British Citizen/a national of an European Economic Area state other than the United Kingdom/or a national of Switzerland
- Seeking to acquire a plot of land to occupy your sole or main residence.
If you have any questions please contact the Planning Policy team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01439 772700.
If you are interested in custom and self-build housing you may find the following websites of use:
* The Self Build Portal: www.selfbuildportal.org.uk
* National Self Build Association: www.nacsba.org.uk
* Community Self Build Agency: http://www.communityselfbuildagency.org/
- Looking after
- Policies and Plans
- Housing policies
- Supplementary planning documents
- Minerals and Waste Joint Plan
- Current consultations
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Community Infrastructure Levy
- Draft Local Plan - First Steps
- Evidence Base
- Custom and Self-Build Register
- Local Development Scheme & Statement of Community Involvement
- Draft Local Plan - Current Thinking
- A Sense of Tranquillity, a Strong Feeling of Remoteness and Dark Night Skies - Consultation
- Brownfield Land Register
- Planning applications
- View an application
- Meet the Planning Team
- Building conservation
- Planning advice notes
- York Potash/Sirius Minerals Polyhalite Mine
- Fracking (shale gas)
- Planning, administration and enforcement advice
- Policies and Plans
- About us