In 1119 AD Robert de Brus founded and lavishly endowed a priory for Augustinian cannons at Guisborough. This monastery became one of the most powerful in Yorkshire and dominated the life and fortune of both the town and the surrounding countryside throughout the Middle Ages.
The striking outline of Gisborough Priory stands defiantly among the trees and roofs of the market town of Guisborough.
Like a triumphal arch in the landscape, the east end of the priory church is an example of Gothic architecture and a reminder that this was once a very wealthy medieval monastery. The monks rebuilt their church no fewer than three times and what remains gives us a glimpse of the priory's former riches.
Separated from the town by a high wall with Gisborough Moor rising beyond, the priory's grounds make a secret garden and a perfect spot for picnics.
Parking for disabled 20 metres from the Priory. Outside surfaces gravel. Some slopes, not too steep. Office not suitable for disabled. Hearing loop available. No toilets available on site