Sutton Bank National Park Centre
The tremendous view from the top of Sutton Bank must rank as one of the finest in Britain. So why not stop at the top of the bank, visit the Centre and blow away the cobwebs with a walk or cycle ride?
Entry to the Centre is FREE
Sutton Bank Bikes and cycle trails
Bring your own bike or hire one on site and enjoy the fantastic cycling facilities at Sutton Bank, developed by PACE cycles and the National Park Authority. It's a great place to get your family cycling, providing access to many miles of bridleways, roads and tracks across the North York Moors.
Our new cycle trails use a mixture of natural and man-made trails similar to those found in a purpose built trail centre. Using the same style of trail marking, the mountain biking trails available are:
- Cliff - family friendly 3 mile 'green' circular off-road cycle trail, mostly level, part of which follows the famous cliff edge.
- Fort - 9 mile 'blue' trail with 361m ascent/descent (70% stone, 30% natural surface), which runs out past the site of the Iron Age fort at Boltby Scar. A shorter loop of 6 miles avoids the ascent/descent and is suitable for families. The Fort route also includes part of the Cliff Trail along the cliff edge.
- Paradise - a 17-mile 'red' trail for experienced mountain-bikers, through some of the most breath-taking scenery in the National Park.
There is also a purpose-built bike skills area and bike wash.
Sutton Bank Bikes offers bike hire, training and skills courses, repair and servicing, and a fully stocked cycle shop.
Current opening hours: Daily, 9am to 6pm, bike hire available 9.30am to 5.30pm. To find out more, call 01845 597759.
The official opening of Sutton Bank Cycling Centre is taking place on 19th July, 10am to 4pm at the Sutton Bank National Park Centre, Sutton Bank, Thirsk. Come and celebrate and let us inspire you to ride your bike on the glorious North York Moors trails and roads. For further information click here.
Lime and Ice
Join Safi and Patrick as they take a tour of the new Lime and Ice Exhibition and enjoy exploring the countryside around the Centre.
Discover the making of Sutton Bank
With the latest in user-friendly technology you can make the exhibition your own. Whatever your interests, whatever you want to find out about the area around Sutton Bank, it's here at your fingertips.
Find out about millions of years of Sutton Bank in the making through a stunning CGI film, narrated by earth historian Professor Aubrey Manning or read at your leisure about some of the amazing landscape features around the area.
Children will enjoy the interactive games where they can be a virtual archaeologist, make a fossil, fly a glider or complete Turner's unfinished sketches.
Need a gift or a souvenir to take home?
The National Park shop prides itself on a good place to purchase something unique from or about the area. There is a quality selection of books about the North York Moors, Bronte Mill scarves and throws, Selina Scott socks and gift cards by Joe Cornish and Robert Fuller. A range of foods are also on offer including Botham's and Lewis & Cooper sweets and biscuits and honey from the North York Moors. You'll also find fun gifts and toys for children.
Experience England's finest view
With your appetite whetted you'll find plenty to occupy you in this stunning corner of the National Park.
Walk to the brand new viewpoint area using our new wheelchair accessible path from the Centre or go south to the ever popular White Horse.
Walking around Sutton Bank
- The booklet Walks around Sutton Bank has five glorious walks from the Centre. The guide will help you unearth the deeper story of the rich landscapes beneath your feet. Available from our online shop.
- Dowload the new Lime and Ice app and follow the trails to discover all sorts of interest in the countryside near the Centre. The trail around the grounds is a great hit with the kids.
The app is free to download from the iTunes app store.
Explore the beautiful Hambleton Hills on two wheels from Sutton Bank. This series of leaflets describes several circular routes from the Sutton Bank National Park Centre. Discover tranquility, stunning views, a rich history and pretty villages on quiet roads and bridleways. Available from our online shop.
- Quality gifts and souvenirs
- Great place to start a walk or cycle ride
- Delicious food and drink at the tearooms
- Free WiFi for all visitors
- New iPhone app to help you explore the countryside on foot
- Wheelchair loan (for onsite use)
- Picnic area
- Pay and display car parks
Tel: 01845 597426
Winners of the Design Awards announced - affordable housing development wins again
A group of volunteers are surveying and monitoring grassland sites in the North York Moors to ensure new management agreements set up by the National Park Authority are having the right effect.
Two free family festivals top and tail the North York Moors National Park’s celebrations for this year’s National Parks Week. ParkFest, on Sunday 27 July at The Moors National Park Centre, Danby sets the scene while MoorFest on Sunday 3 August at Sutton Bank National Park Centre, rounds off a week of guided walks, children’s events and adventure activities.
Family-friendly and adventure cycling trails with some of the most spectacular views in the country open in the North York Moors this Saturday.
New work by members of Ryedale ArtWorks (RAW) explores the varied landscapes of the North ...read more
Drop in during the morning to join moth expert Graham Featherstone and inspect the catch ...read more
Join expert guides on a nature safari in one of the best woodland and moorland areas ...read more
A classic walk that soaks up James Herriot's favourite view of the Vale of Mowbray and ...read more
We take a gentle morning stroll around the village of Appleton le Moors, looking at its ...read more
As the heart of the National Park begins to turn purple, spend the day discovering our ...read more