The Moors National Park Centre
The Moors National Park Centre is our flagship visitor centre, set in an idyllic spot on the banks of the River Esk, near Danby. From the doorstep, you can see pretty much everything that makes the North York Moors National Park so special: moorland, woodland, farmland, miles of hedges and drystone walls, historic buildings – all basking in glorious peace and quiet.
Entry to the Centre is absolutely FREE.
Watch Ceri, Heather, Florrie and Toby show you around
There are loads of fun and fascinating things to do, inside...
- Explore the open spaces … discover the secret places. Our exhibition about the people, history, wildlife and landscape of the National Park is packed with fascinating facts and entertaining interactives.
- Visit the Inspired by... Gallery with its changing displays of art inspired by the North York Moors.
- Climb the walls! Try our fabulous climbing wall. Kids only – it's far too much fun for adults!
- Splash out in the shop. There's a great range of books, maps and guides, postcards, and a new range of souvenirs
- Have a cuppa in our new Woolly Sheep tearoom and treat yourself to some delicious home-cooking
- Join in one of our many events and activities that go on here in the holidays
And heaps more outside...
- Make like a monkey in the outdoor play area
- Get lost in the Salmon Labyrinth, following the incredible journey of a salmon upstream to its spawning grounds
- Try your hand at quoits, a traditional North York Moors pastime
- Become a natty navigator – brush up your wayfinding skills in the Compass Field
- Explore Crow Wood via a short, circular, easy access route that starts in the main car park
- Admire the sculptures – some of them even talk!
- Go for a walk – why not try one of the 5 easy-to-follow routes in the Walks from the Moors Centre booklet, £2.00 from the shop
- Have a picnic in the grounds
Please note - dogs are not allowed in the Centre buildings or in Crow Wood.
The Moors National Park Centre is home to our Education Team and we provide an extensive programme for school visits.
Tel: 01439 772737
A project aiming to instil a love and understanding of the natural world in local youngsters is looking for new recruits. The Explorer Club meets one Sunday a month and is aimed at children aged 5-14 and their parents.
On 23 and 24 November you will be entitled to a 10 per cent discount at the gift shop when you spend over £25 as part of the Christmas shopping weekend.
Innovative plans for Whitby Business Park are nearing completion.
Heritage Lottery Fund awards a £3m grant to protect and raise awareness of one of the unique landscapes of the North York Moors National Park.
An exhibition showcasing the very best in art, craft and design - both traditional and ...read more
Photographers Janet and Richard Burdon take a creative look at the local landscape in ...read more
Join our National Park Rangers for a festive stroll around the woods, seeking out woodland ...read more