The Moors National Park Centre
The Moors National Park Centre is our flagship visitor centre, set in an idyllic spot on the banks of the River Esk, near Danby. From the doorstep, you can see pretty much everything that makes the North York Moors National Park so special: moorland, woodland, farmland, miles of hedges and drystone walls, historic buildings – all basking in glorious peace and quiet.
Entry to the Centre is absolutely FREE.
Watch Ceri, Heather, Florrie and Toby show you around
There are loads of fun and fascinating things to do, inside...
- Explore the open spaces … discover the secret places. Our exhibition about the people, history, wildlife and landscape of the National Park is packed with fascinating facts and entertaining interactives.
- Visit the Inspired by... Gallery with its changing displays of art inspired by the North York Moors.
- Climb the walls! Try our fabulous climbing wall. Kids only – it's far too much fun for adults!
- Splash out in the shop. There's a great range of books, maps and guides, postcards, and a new range of souvenirs
- Have a cuppa in our new Woolly Sheep tearoom and treat yourself to some delicious home-cooking
- Join in one of our many events and activities that go on here in the holidays
And heaps more outside...
- Make like a monkey in the outdoor play area
- Get lost in the Salmon Labyrinth, following the incredible journey of a salmon upstream to its spawning grounds
- Try your hand at quoits, a traditional North York Moors pastime
- Become a natty navigator – brush up your wayfinding skills in the Compass Field
- Explore Crow Wood via a short, circular, easy access route that starts in the main car park
- Admire the sculptures – some of them even talk!
- Go for a walk – why not try one of the 5 easy-to-follow routes in the Walks from the Moors Centre booklet, £2.00 from the shop
- Have a picnic in the grounds
Please note - dogs are not allowed in the Centre buildings or in Crow Wood.
The Moors National Park Centre is home to our Education Team and we provide an extensive programme for school visits.
Tel: 01439 772737
The Inspired by… gallery at The Moors National Park Centre, Danby, is joining in with the excitement of the build-up to the Grand Départ for the Tour de France in June with an exhibition of cycling-inspired art.
Scotch Corner Chapel and its unusual sculptures will be open to the public on Sunday 27 April, Saturday 12 July and Saturday 13 September.
This year's UK National Parks photo competition (14 April - 28 May) celebrates the young and young at heart.
A harpist known as the "Incredible String Blonde" will play at The Moors National Park Centre, Danby on 4 May 2014.
Renowned landscape artist Peter Hicks has a passion for the changing beauty of the North ...read more
A rare opportunity to see inside the amazing hidden gem of Scotch Corner Chapel, near ...read more
We take a lovely 3 mile walk through open fields into woodland that - fingers crossed ...read more
In a special appearance at the Inspired by...gallery, accomplished singer, songwriter ...read more
This 5 mile route starts with a 15 minute talk about the villages of Appleton le Moors ...read more
You'll get a real feel for what it was like to drive livestock on the open road in days ...read more