Dark Skies Festival
Friday 9 – Sunday 25 February 2018
The North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales are a stargazer’s paradise, with some of the best night skies in the country.
In an urban area you'll be lucky to see 20 stars on a clear night, but in an area of low light pollution, such as our National Parks, you could see as many as 2,000.
Plans are already well underway for our third Dark Skies Festival, teaming up with the Yorkshire Dales once again. Building on the success of the 2017 festival, 2018 will be even bigger with some 100 events already lined up between 9 and 25 February.
Discover the thrills, fun and nocturnal wildlife wonders that come with getting outside after dark, as well as simply marvelling the beauty of the National Parks’ pristine night skies in the company of astronomers. From cycling, walking and running to wildlife-watching, stargazing parties and daytime rocket-making workshops, look up and look out, and discover more about the sky above you.
Events and activities will be taking place all over the moors, coast and Howardian Hills. As well as some of the incredibly successful events from previous years, such as stargazing at our three Dark Skies Discovery Centres, ghost walks on the coast and night vision walks with forest rangers, there’ll be a night run in Dalby Forest, night mountain bike rides at Sutton Bank, nocturnal nature walks, bushcraft and night photography workshops, with more amazing events to come.
Keep checking back for updates, and to see detailed listings of events. See you in February 2018!
If you run a business and would like to help or run an event, please contact email@example.com
Highlights for 2018 include:
- A multimedia, indoor planetarium pop-up experience, a 360 degree journey through the stars
- Go Ape Night Zip
- Dark Skies gravel biking challenge
- Storytelling, rocket building, lantern making and other crafty activities
- Night Vision using the latest infra-red technology
- Ghost walks through Robin Hood's Bay
- Dark Skies Run
- Night owl flying demonstrations
- Photography workshops
- Astronomy talks, advice and stargazing evenings
The full Festival programme will be available on our Dark Skies Festival website.
Bookings and information
Advance bookings and payment are essential for many of the festival events, unless stated as a drop-in event. Booking details are included under each individual event. Please note:
- Children are welcome at most events but minimum ages may apply.
- Dogs are allowed at some events, but must be kept on a short fixed lead at all times.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear is essential. Wrap up warm especially for evening outdoor activities! A torch could be useful too.
- Looking after
- About us