Dark Skies Photography Competition
Take a jaw-dropping photo of the Dark Skies Festival and WIN a backpack of Columbia Sportswear outdoor goodies!
The North York Moors is a stargazer’s paradise, with some of the best night skies in the country. We’re celebrating our celestial playground throughout the Dark Skies Festival (9 – 25 February 2018) with a line-up of events from night rides, ghost walks, and stargazing to family workshops, pitch black zip-lining and more!
As part of the Festival, we’re launching a Dark Skies photography competition.
We’re looking for the best photographs of the North York Moors and Howardian Hills AONB night skies during the Dark Skies Festival. The photos can include everything from amazing close-ups of constellations and, if you’re really lucky, stunning shots of the aurora borealis, to action shots at one of the Festival events or selfies of faces gazing up in wonder at the beauty of our dark skies.
The competition is open to both professionals and amateurs.
There are two categories in the competition:
- Adult photographers: open to submissions from people aged 16 and above
- Young photographers: open to submissions from children under 16 (age verification will be required)
One winner will be chosen from each category. The entries will be shortlisted down to the top 10 in each category with the winner being chosen by Helmsley astro photographer Steve Bell. The winners will be announced on Thursday 8 March 2018.
The Dark Skies photography competition will run from 9 – 25 February 2018.
How to enter
- Share your photo on social media (Instagram, Facebook or Twitter)
- Include #darkskiesphoto and mention the North York Moors National Park using @northyorkmoors
- Remember it has to be taken and uploaded between 9 - 25 February!
The winner from each category will receive a backpack of outdoor gear courtesy of Columbia Sportswear.
Adult photographer prize:
- Women’s Lake 22™Down Hooded Jacket or Men’s Lake 22™ Down Jacket
- Unisex Classic Outdoor™ 25L Daypack
- The Bugaboo Beanie
- Women’s Darling Days™ Gloves or Men’s Thermarator™ Fleese Gloves
Young photographer prize:
- Boy’s and Girl’s Snowfield™ Jacket
- Unisex Classic Outdoor™ 20L Daypack
- Youth Gyroslope™ Beanie
- Youth Thernarator ™ Gloves
Terms & Conditions
- Closing date for entry is Sunday 25 February, 12pm midnight.
- The winner will be notified by direct message on their social media channel and must respond, providing their full name, contact telephone number and email to claim the prize within 24 hours. If a winner does not respond to the North York Moors National Park Authority within 24 hours of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the North York Moors National Park Authority shall be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- The judging panel consists of three North York Moors National Park Dark Skies Festival organisers, with the shortlist being judged by Helmsley astro photographer Steve Bell. The judges’ decision is final.
- The winners must supply a hi-res image at 300dpi after closing date.
- By entering the competition, you automatically give us permission to use your images on our website, other online media and in promotional material (non-commercial usage). We will always credit any photographs used to the photographer.
- No more than 3 photographs may be submitted per person. If more than 3 photographs are submitted, only 3 will be randomly selected.
- Photographs must be taken during the Dark Skies Festival, between 9 – 25 February 2018.
- Age verification for young photographer entries will be required.
- The submitted photo must be the original work of the competition entrant.
- The photographer retains complete copyright, but agrees to have his/her photograph published on the North York Moors website and other online media.
- Submitted photographs must not contain provocative or otherwise objectionable content.
- This competition is not open to employees of the North York Moors National Park Authority or members of their immediate families.
- Prizes are non–transferable and there is no cash alternative.
- Prize collection will be arranged directly with contact at Canoe, Columbia Sportswear communications agency, where opportunity for size and colour specification can be confirmed.
- This competition is not open to employees of Columbia Sportswear or members of their immediate families.
- Columbia Sportswear is the official partner and supplier of outdoor clothing to the 15 UK National Parks
- Looking after
- About us