Major festivals and events
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts and Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, three nights of atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to an exciting musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2017
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 1 – 17 Christmas at Dalby Forest
- 1 – 21 January 2018 WinterArt, Inspired by... gallery, Danby
- 1 Yuletide Museum at Night, Ryedale Folk Museum
- 1 – 3 Whitby WinterFest, Whitby Pavilion
- 1 – 23 Castle Howard at Christmas: experience this magnificent house decked out and lit by candles and firelight
- 1 – 23 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 2 Christmas Lights, Thornton le Dale
- 2 – 17 Helmsley Christmas Tree Festival, All Saints Church, Helmsley - star themed
- 2 – 3 A Victorian Christmas, Ryedale Folk Museum
- 2 – 3 A Victorian Christmas, Kirkleatham Museum
- 2 – 3, 9 – 10, 16 – 17 Christmas at Nunnington Hall
- 2 – 3, 9 – 10, 16 – 17, 19 – 20 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 8 – 10 Robin Hood's Bay 24th Victorian Weekend, Robin Hood's Bay
2018 Major Events
- 9 – 25 Dark Skies Festival, across the North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales
- Looking after
- About us