North York Moors

North York Moors logo
Browse section

Planning applications

Grosmont by Chris CeaserGrosmont by Chris Ceaser

How do I apply for planning permission?

The relevant application form can be downloaded from the Forms and Guidance section of this website, submitted online via the national Planning Portal website or obtained in hard copy from the National Park Authority. There are guidance notes to assist with the completion of the forms.

You may wish to consider appointing a professional agent who will be familiar with the planning process and who can help your application be processed smoothly.

Should you wish to have your application checked by a member of the Administration Team prior to submission, an appointment will be required. Please note there is a charge for this service which is set out in the Planning and Administration Charges schedule

Please note - regarding the submission of plans, that where parties appear to the Authority to be acting in breach of copyright or other intellectual property right, the Authority may pass their details to the owner of the relevant right.

How are applications assessed?

After the planning application has been submitted the Authority will, where appropriate, consult neighbouring properties, the relevant Parish Council and other relevant bodies e.g. Highway Authority, Environmental Health, Environment Agency etc asking for their views on the proposal. For most applications a site notice will be placed on or near to the application site inviting comments and where appropriate an advertisement placed in the local newspaper.

Together with any comments received as a result of the consultation process all proposals for development are assessed against the planning policies set out in the North York Moors Local Plan. Planning decisions must be made in accordance with the Local Plan unless there are other material planning considerations that could override the normal planning policy considerations. A plain English guide to the Planning System is available.

How can I view/comment on a planning application?

View the documents associated with a current or determined application or to make comments on a current application and follow the instructions provided.

Please note: Any application received on or after 11 June 2018 will only be held in electronic format on our website. Should you wish to view the electronic file at the National Park Offices in Helmsley this is by appointment only.

Who makes the decision?

Scheme of Delegation

Many straight forward and non-controversial applications are determined by the Director of Planning under a Scheme of Delegation agreed by the National Park Authority. The Scheme of Delegation is available if you wish to view the provisions of this scheme.

Planning Committee

If an application does not accord with the provisions of the Scheme of Delegation, it will be determined by the Authority's Planning Committee which meets once approximately every six weeks, usually on a Thursday starting at 10am at the National Park Offices in Helmsley.

To find out more about our public speaking facility at these meetings please read the Authority's Public Speaking at Planning Committee Guidance Note.

After the decision

Once a planning application is determined a copy of the decision notice will be made available for public inspection on the Authority's website.

If your application is approved, it is likely to be subject to conditions that may require further details to be submitted before development starts on site. It is important that all conditions of a planning permission are complied with as failure to do so may render the permission invalid and may result in enforcement action.

Following a grant of planning permission, you may wish to make amendments to the approved scheme. If permission is refused, you may wish to negotiate with the Authority and re-submit your proposal. For further information please contact the Case Officer who dealt with your application.

If you wish to challenge a particular condition of your planning permission or refusal of planning permission, you have a right to appeal to the Secretary of State. Under current Government Planning Legislation once a planning decision has been made only the applicant can appeal against that decision; there is no third party right of appeal.

How can I appeal against a decision?

The appeals procedure and time frame in which you must appeal to the Secretary of State can be found on the reverse of your decision notice.