There's cycling for all at Sutton Bank National Park Centre. It's a great starting-place to access the bridleways, tracks and minor roads in the western half of the National Park.
Bring your own bike or hire one at the Centre, pick up a trail map and off you go!
Out on the trails
- A new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail is the starting point for our other cycle trails. With a wider track than the other trails, families can ride side-by-side, as well as providing an option for those using hand crank bikes. Ride gently around the track or pick out the jumps and banked corners for a more adventurous pedal. You can also ride the figure-of-eight trail as two shorter options or go round the trail as many times as you like!
- 3-mile 'Cliff Trail' (green), great for families and beginners
- Off-road adventures on the more challenging 'Fort' (blue, 5.5 or 7.5 mile options), 'Drovers' (blue, 10 miles), and 'Paradise' (red, 17.5 miles) trails
- Test yourself in the 'skills area' perfect for kids starting out
- A new all-weather 330-metre pump track for mountain bikers, enjoy the thrills of riding a loop of banked turns and rollers and improve your skills
- Parking, toilets and Park Life Café at the National Park Centre
Sutton Bank Bikes
There's bike hire, plus a cycle shop, service centre and bike wash at Sutton Bank Bikes, located at the National Park Centre. They also offer bike maintenance courses and guided rides.
- Hire - Adult and children's mountain bikes and road bikes, tag-alongs, bike trailers and baby seats
- E-bikes for hire too!
- Cycle shop for bikes, hardware, clothing and accessories
- Woodburner in winter
- Photo ID required to hire
Summer opening: Open daily throughout the school summer holidays (10am-5pm). Bike hire is also available (10am-4.30pm) but please call
Please follow any procedures they have in place.
For further information and hire prices, call
14 August and 30 October 2021 - Kids Time Trial (Mini shredders and Rippers)
This summer sees the return of Sutton Bank Bikes popular kids event. There are five age groups split across two different courses:
- Rippers (new for 2021) - on the pump track and cyclocross loop (for 8-12 year olds). 10.30am start (sign on and practice from 9-10am). Please call Sutton Bank Bikes to reserve a place and pay on the day (£12/entry).
- Mini Shredders - on the skills loop outside the bike shop (for balance bikes up to 8 year olds). 2pm start (sign on and practice 12.30-1.30pm. Please call Sutton Bank Bikes to reserve a place and pay on the day (£8/entry).
Park Life Café is also offering a 10% discount on the day to event participants.
Please note the pump track and cyclocross loop will be closed to the public from 9am-12.30pm on 14 August and 31 October. A signed diversion will be in place showing how to access the wider network of trails (Fort/Paradise/Drovers).
26 September 2021 – Top of the Rock Gravel Sportive
Starting 1000ft up on the spectacular Sutton Bank escarpment, take a grand tour across moor ‘n dale on gravel trails. Choice of three routes: Short: 25k (15.5 miles), Medium: 50k (31 miles) or Long: 75k (46.5 miles). Expect spectacular autumn colours, a relaxed and fun vibe with smooth and flowing to technically and physically challenging trails, as well as a beer tent at the end!
Online booking: SiEntries
Look out for the new cyclocross series starting in October and running through to February 2022 organised by Sutton Bank Bikes, on the cyclocross course.
Sutton Bank National Park Centre, YO7 2EH, on the A170, 6 miles east of Thirsk or 8 miles west of Helmsley.
Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project
The new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail/cyclocross course and pump track are part of the Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project, funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- TV and film locations
- Ideas for sunny days
- Forests and woodlands
- Dark skies
- Capital of Cake
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us