Major festivals and events
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to a musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2019
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 1 – 16 Andrea Bailey Retrospective: A Life Through Art, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 6 MoorsRun, North York Moors National Park in partnership with Hardmoors Race Series present the Turnpike Trot 10k and the Rabbit Run 5k
- 11–13 Railway in Wartime, North Yorkshire Moors Railway: turn the clock back to 1940s for street parades, vehicle displays and re-enactments along the line. Special events at Pickering Castle and Beck Isle Museum too.
- 18 – 20 Musicport Festival, Whitby Pavilion: the UK's biggest indoor world music festival (20th anniversary)
- 19 – 12 November Fragile Enchantments, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 24 – 30 Illuminated Abbey, Whitby Abbey
- 25 – 27 Whitby Goth Weekend, Whitby
- 26 – 27 Michaelmas Fair, Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
- 26 – 31 Halloween Trains, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 31 Halloween – Fear in the Forest, Dalby Forest: a spooky walk through the woods
- 1 – 3 Tomorrow's Ghosts Gothic & Alternative Festival, Whitby
- 8 Chamber Music Concert Jamie Walton, Musical Director for the North York Moors Chamber Music Festival, presents an exhibition concert, Inspired by... gallery, Danby
- 14 – 30 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 15 - 15 December Christmas at Nunnington Hall
- 16 – 30 Castle Howard at Christmas: experience this magnificent house decked out and lit by candle and firelight
- 16 – 17 Christmas Craft Fair, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- 16 – 31 December Uniquely Made - by Brigantia, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 23 – 24 Christmas Shopping Weekend, Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- 30 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 30 Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 30 - 15 December Helmsley Christmas Tree Festival, All Saints Church, Helmsley
- 1, 7–8, 14–15, 21–22 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 1, 7–8, 12–15, 19–23 Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 1 – 23 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 1 – 31 Castle Howard at Christmas: experience this magnificent house decked out and lit by candle and firelight
- 6 – 8 Robin Hood's Bay 26th Victorian Weekend, Robin Hood's Bay
- 7 Christmas Lights, Thornton le Dale
- Dates tbc Christmas at Dalby Forest
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us