Make someone smile
Many businesses in the North York Moors are currently closed or not operating as they once were. We want to show that resourcefulness and determination can prevail, showcasing individuals behind the businesses, how they're adapting and how it's still possible to provide your support.
Perhaps you can commit to a short break later down the line or treat someone for a birthday with an experience voucher. By making a donation or purchasing a gift, your generosity and showing you care, will undoubtedly make someone smile, whether that’s the business or receiver.
Gift vouchers, online shopping and virtual experiences
- Adventures for the Soul specialise in the calming benefits of being in the natural world. They're currently offering home retreats, downloadable mindful walks package, virtual yoga classes, 1-1 online support and free relaxation tips.
- Artisan Whitby are a pop-up community initiative who've created an online market square to support local artists, artisans and craft producers.
- BOBHolidays issue gift certificates allowing you ultimate flexibility to book one of their day trips from York. You've got up to two years to explore - Whitby & The North York Moors or Moors, Whitby & The Yorkshire Steam Railway.
- Greenwood Crafts in Hutton le Hole provide vouchers for woodturning, ceramic and glasses courses, as well as having an online shop selling their wares.
- Gumboots and Wellingtons situated in the peaceful valley of Ellerburn allow 18 months validity when purchasing a gift voucher to stay in The Hut or The Den.
- Kala King will be running chocolate-making experiences for two people when safe to resume. If you can't wait for her chocolate until then, don't worry - she has an online shop!
- Pascal's Cookery School offer gift vouchers for their infamous Sourdough Experience, including exclusivity at their Bed & Breakfast accommodation.
- Rewilding Adventure are outdoor adventure learning specialists and have been doing a series of blogs to beat Corona boredom! You can also buy gift vouchers for their many experiences.
- Shandy Hall, the former home of 18th century novelist Laurence Sterne, request your support whilst visiting is on hold. They'd love for you to view their online shop or donate to the trust.
- My Kitchen at Woodlands Farm are going online whilst their cookery experiences and B&B are closed. Watch a pop up cookery video to receive recipes and tips from former Betty's Cookery School chef/tutor, Amy Callin.
- Yorkshire Coast Nature lead the way when it comes to wildlife tours and workshops. Whilst they cannot operate, buy a gift voucher and redeem it up to two years later.
Crowdfunders and other ways to donate
- Bils & Rye art gallery have set up a 'Pay It Forward' crowdfunder. Become a benefactor to ensure artists receive a grant payment with a small percentage keeping the gallery afloat.
- Helmsley Walled Garden invite you to adopt a square metre. Choose your favourite patch amongst the hot border, annual flower meadow, garden of contemplation and many other areas.
- Hidden Horizons - Into the Future is a crowdfunder asking for your support to ensure the continuation of their outdoor experiences such as fossil hunting, stargazing, bushcraft and beach schools.
- North Yorkshire Moors Railway welcome your bids in an online auction. Closing on 29 May, there are many items and experiences on offer to raise vital funds for the charity.
We’d love to add more businesses so please get in touch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org