Make someone smile
Many businesses in the North York Moors are currently closed or not operating as they once were. We want to show that resourcefulness and determination can prevail, showcasing individuals behind the businesses, how they're adapting and how it's still possible to provide your support.
Perhaps you can commit to a short break later down the line or treat someone for a birthday with an experience voucher. By making a donation or purchasing a gift, your generosity and showing you care, will undoubtedly make someone smile, whether that’s the business or recipient.
Gift vouchers, online shopping and virtual experiences
- Adventures for the Soul specialise in the calming benefits of being in the natural world. They're offering a range of safe experiences including wild walks for two and nature mini-adventures.
- Artisan Whitby are a pop-up community initiative who've created an online market square to support local artists, artisans and craft producers.
- Awakening the Writer Within offer writing courses, sharing a passion for creative writing and literature. Join their virtual workshops to discover and unlock your creative talents.
- BOBHolidays issue gift certificates their day trips from York, including up to two years to redeem. From August you can book an exclusive trip for small groups to explore the North York Moors.
- The Chocolate Factory usually sell their Belgium delicacies from micro factory in Hutton le Hole and shop in Thornton le Dale. You can purchase their chocolates, bars and figures from the online shop.
- Greenwood Crafts in Hutton le Hole provide vouchers for woodturning, ceramic and glasses courses, as well as having an online shop selling their wares.
- Gumboots and Wellingtons situated in the peaceful valley of Ellerburn allow 18 months validity when purchasing a gift voucher to stay in The Hut or The Den. Bookings are now being taken.
- Kala King will be running chocolate-making experiences for families of up to four people. If you can't make a class, don't worry - she has an online shop!
- Panther Fitness is a private fitness studio based in Hutton le Hole currently running online Zoom sessions and outdoor personal training implementing social distancing measures.
- Pascal's Cookery School teach you how to make their infamous sourdough bread during an exclusive stay at their Bed & Breakfast accommodation.
- Shandy Hall, the former home of 18th century novelist Laurence Sterne, request your support whilst visiting is on hold. They'd love for you to view their online shop or donate to the trust.
- Yorkshire Coast Nature lead the way when it comes to wildlife tours and workshops. You can buy a gift voucher and redeem it up to two years later.
Crowdfunders and other ways to donate
- Eden Camp have a GoFundMe appeal to 'Save Your Heritage'. Their new online shop offers gifts, WW2 replicas and the opportunity to buy advance admission tickets.
- Helmsley Walled Garden invite you to adopt a square metre. Choose your favourite patch amongst the hot border, annual flower meadow, garden of contemplation and many other areas.
- Hidden Horizons - Into the Future is a crowdfunder asking for your support to ensure the continuation of their outdoor experiences such as fossil hunting, stargazing, bushcraft and beach schools.
- North Yorkshire Moors Railway have various ways you can help to raise vital funds for the charity. Donate to one of their appeals, become a member, leave a legacy or purchase something from the virtual store. Steam journeys recommenced from 1 August.
We’d love to add more businesses so please get in touch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org