There's cycling for all at Sutton Bank National Park Centre. It's a great starting-place to access the bridleways, tracks and minor roads in the western half of the National Park.
Bring your own bike or hire one at the Centre, pick up a trail map and off you go!
Out on the trails
Family-friendly trails, and the existing bridleway and road network, offer fantastic cycling 'on top of the world', at Sutton Bank's stunning escarpment location. Our trails use a mixture of natural and man-made tracks, similar to those found in a purpose-built trail centre.
- A new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail is the starting point for our other cycle trails. With a wider track than the other trails, families can ride side-by-side, as well as providing an option for those using hand crank bikes. Ride gently around the track or pick out the jumps and banked corners for a more adventurous pedal. You can also ride the figure-of-eight trail as two shorter options or go round the trail as many times as you like!
- 3-mile 'Cliff Trail' (green), great for families and beginners
- Off-road adventures on the more challenging 'Fort' (blue, 5.5 or 7.5 mile options), 'Drovers' (blue, 10 miles), and 'Paradise' (red, 17.5 miles) trails
- Test yourself in the 'skills area' perfect for kids starting out
- A new all-weather 330-metre pump track for mountain bikers, enjoy the thrills of riding a loop of banked turns and rollers and improve your skills
- Parking, toilets and Park Life Café at the National Park Centre
Unlike a trail centre, large parts of our routes make use of existing bridleways that are shared with walkers and horse riders. Please share with care and consider other users, and expect to come across some gates too.
The family-friendly cycle trail also doubles as a cyclocross course for competitive events during autumn and winter.
Sutton Bank Bikes
There's bike hire, plus a cycle shop, service centre and bike wash at Sutton Bank Bikes, located at the National Park Centre. They also offer bike maintenance courses and guided rides.
- Hire - adult and children's mountain bikes and road bikes, tag-alongs, bike trailers and baby seats
- E-bikes for hire too!
- Cycle shop for bikes, hardware, clothing and accessories
- Woodburner in winter
- Photo ID required to hire
Please note Sutton Bank Bikes may be open at different times to the National Park Centre.
Sutton Bank Bikes are open year-round. See opening times on their website for the most up-to-date information.
The independently operated Sutton Bank Bikes is open Thursday-Monday (10am-5pm). Bike hire is also available (10am-4.30pm) but please call
For further information and hire prices, call
Sutton Bank National Park Centre, YO7 2EH, on the A170, 6 miles east of Thirsk or 8 miles west of Helmsley.
Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project
The new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail/cyclocross course and pump track are part of the Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project, funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
- Time for You
- See and do
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- Share with Care
- Fell, trail and road running
- Adventure activities
- Horse riding
- Wildlife watching
- Health and wellbeing
- On the water
- Organising events
- Flat green bowling
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us