North York Moors

North York Moors logo
Browse section


This easy 1½-mile walk sheds light on the curious past of clifftop Ravenscar, the so-called ‘resort that never was’. Following a figure-of-eight loop, it passes through National Trust land, offering coastal scenery at its dramatic best, with views over sheer cliffs to both the inlet of Blea Wyke and the distant village of Robin Hood’s Bay. The views are spectacular at any time of year, while in spring and early summer the hay field along the cliff edge displays a wonderful array of wild flowers.

Walk info

Great for:
easy access, history buffs, coastal capers
1½ miles (2.7km)
1 hour
Station Square, Ravenscar
Grid Ref:
NZ 985 013
OS Map:
Ordnance Survey OL27

About this walk

The walk is a figure-of-eight loop and splits naturally into two parts, southern and northern, with no steps or stiles on either loop.

There is a short incline on the southern loop, as well as a short rutted section and two kissing gates. There are no gates on the northern loop and the path is mainly on compact earth or short grass, making this section suitable for people with a pushchair, wheelchair or mobility scooter.

It’s advisable to keep your dog on a lead on the clifftop sections of the route, and also on the road to Station Square at the end of the northern loop.

Route credits
Thanks to the Cleveland Way National Trail, who devised and produced the route and downloadable guide. For more information about the Cleveland Way, visit the website.


In 1895 developers had plans for a smart holiday resort at Ravenscar, which never came to fruition. Just one hotel, a few houses and a road were ever built – hence the often-used description of Ravenscar as ‘the resort that never was’. The site was originally known as ‘Peak’, which was the name first given to the local railway station – the highest station on the Scarborough to Whitby railway line, which opened in 1885. It was renamed Ravenscar a few years later and formed part of the plans to bring holidaymakers directly to the new resort. The station (and line) finally closed in 1965, after years of dwindling trade, but you can still see the Ravenscar platform today, at the back of Station Square, and ponder on the great Victorian age of holidaymaking which saw thousands of tourists carried to our coastal towns and resorts.