Major festivals and events
Due to COVID-19, this section of our website may not have the latest updates regarding externally-run events. All events in the near future have been cancelled but some are now looking to go ahead later in the year, subject to the easing of restrictions.
We will endeavour to remove cancelled events and add new dates where events are rearranged as soon as we are made aware of changes. If an event you are due to attend is not run by the National Park Authority, please contact the event organiser directly.
If you're thinking of visiting the North York Moors, please follow our guidelines for accessing the National Park responsibly.
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to a musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2021
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 16 – 1 August Ryedale Festival
- 5 – 28 Willy Russell's Shirley Valentine, Esk Valley Theatre, Glaisdale, near Whitby
- 7 – 21 North York Moors Chamber Music Festival, Wellburn - with renowned classical musicians from around the world
- 12 – 15 Saltburn Folk Festival, Saltburn
- 21 Castle Howard Proms, Castle Howard
- 21 – 23 Whitby Regatta, watch yacht and rowing races, Navy displays, fireworks and more set around this ancient port
- 21 – 27 Whitby Folk Week, traditional music and dance with workshops and street entertainment
- 25 – 26 Festival of Thrift, Kirkleatham
- 22 – 31 Dark Skies Fringe Festival, with a stellar line-up of speakers, including top astronomers and scientists
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us