John Muir Award - getting started
1. For guidance read the John Muir Award Information Handbook (opens in new window). View our introductory film or read some case studies (links open in new windows).
2. Plan your activity and integrate this with the four challenges (opens in new window).
4. The John Muir Trust will then be in touch to discuss your Proposal, suggest changes if necessary and give you the go ahead.
5. Start your John Muir Award experience!
At the end, complete a Certificate Request Form (Word) (opens in new window). You'll then receive your own individual (or family) certificates.
What's on this Year
The John Muir Award is open to schools, community groups, outdoor centres, individuals and families. We offer training events for group leaders and school teachers.
Training days for group leaders
- John Muir Award in schools and training for youth leaders.
Events and guided walks calendar
Many of our North York Moors National Park events and guided walks can be incorporated into your own Award – check out our events calendar.
All links open in a new window:
- John Muir Award Record Book (pdf)
- Mission:Explore National Parks, available from our Information Centres or online here
- Mission:Explore John Muir
- Discover John Muir website - to find out more about the man himself.
Information for teachers
- John Muir Award and the National Curriculum (PDF - large file)
- Resource Guides - Outdoor Learning, Surveys, Biodiversity, Campaigning Sustainability and Wildlife Gardening.
- Duke of Edinburgh's Award and the John Muir Award
We'd love to chat about how you or your group can get involved with the John Muir Award. Please get in touch with us via email or phone on 01439 772700.
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us
- How the Authority works
- Meetings and agendas
- Our service to you
- School and group visits
- Rights of way
- Press Office
- Job vacancies
- Terms and Conditions