Cleveland Way 50th Anniversary
The North York Moors National Park is home to the nation's favourite national trail, the Cleveland Way. The 109 mile long route meanders through dramatic coastline and heather moorland, whilst offering stunning views of castles, ancient stone crosses and fishing villages tucked into tiny coves, it really does have it all!
2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Cleveland Way and to celebrate, we'll be hosting a series of events, walks, talks, competitions and exhibitions, including:
- A booklet listing the general public’s suggestions for the 50 best things to do on the Cleveland Way. Flick through the e-book below or pick a copy up from our National Park Centres at Sutton Bank and Danby.
- A new film all about the trail which will be revealed later in May
- A special 50-mile ultramarathon trail running event on 16 March organised by the Hardmoors Ultra Series
- Inspired by... gallery's 109 Miles exhibition 11 May – 9 June (preview day Thursday 9 May)
- A special event on the actual anniversary on 24 May that will see some walkers wearing 1960s hiking gear striding out from Helmsley to Rievaulx Abbey
- A new 5k family run, Bunny Run, on the Cleveland Way on 16 June starting from Sutton Bank
- Events aimed at schools and group visits
- A celebratory print of the Cleveland Way and accompanying cards, donated by award-winning landscape photographer Joe Cornish as a fundraiser for the two official charities - Scarborough & Ryedale and Cleveland Mountain Rescue Teams, available to purchase through Joe Cornish Galleries as well as Sutton Bank National Park Centre and The Moors National Park Centre.
- A celebration of Huntcliff's much loved sculpture, The Charm Bracelet. On 21 June, 7 - 10pm join sculptor Richard Farrington for a talk, followed by live music and display of local artwork at this anniversary event.
Keep checking back here for more details and information on activity and announcements taking place in 2019.
To celebrate the Cleveland Way 50th, a number of walking events and festivals throughout the North York Moors will be taking place during 2019, all dedicated to the National Trail.
- WalkFest 2019 (25-27 May)
- Redcar & Cleveland Walking Festival (15-23 June)
- Loftus ACCORD Walking Group and Skelton History Group (16, 18, 20, 22 and 24 May)
- Large Outdoors will be introducing a new walking event, The Castle to Abbey Coastal Challenge along the Cleveland Way, taking place on 11 May and 14 September.
Cleveland Way Photo Competition
To celebrate 50 years of the Cleveland Way, we want you to share what you love about our treasured national trail with us. Enter our social media photo competition to be with a chance to showcase your favourite scene of the Cleveland Way.
Call for Artists - Cleveland Way in Miniature
We're inviting established and emerging artists to submit miniature works of art on postcards for a late spring exhibition, Cleveland Way in Miniature, which begins on 11 May 2019 in the Inspired by... gallery at The Moors National Park Centre near Danby.
Artists are invited to submit an application to the Inspired by... gallery by 1 May 2019. They can submit up to 6 original pieces of postcard art inspired by the Cleveland Way National Trail at 50 using any medium – from drawings, photographs and paintings through to printmaking and textiles. Each postcard will remain unsigned when it’s on display, with the artist’s name only being revealed after each card has been purchased.
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Enjoy outdoors
- Our walks
- About our walks
- Easy access walks
- Long-distance walks
- Cleveland Way 50th Anniversary
- WalkFest 2019
- Esk Valley Walk
- Classic walks
- Guided walks and experiences
- Walking holidays and baggage carriers
- Walking friendly
- Festivals and events
- Walking with dogs
- Staying safe
- The Moors Message
- Rights of Way and Open Access
- Fell and road running
- Adventure activities
- Horse riding
- Wildlife watching
- Health and wellbeing
- On the water
- Organising events
- Flat green bowling
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us