Festivals and events
Why not sign up to a walk at one of these annual walking festivals, wonderfully intimate affairs showcasing the best of the North York Moors. They're a great way to experience the spectacular scenery and meet like-minded souls.
- Rosedale Walking Festival (20-21 June 2020)
Explore this beautiful part of the North York Moors with local guides sharing their passion. Usually includes a range of themed walks over the weekend. Discover hidden Andy Goldsworthy sculptures, explore the dale's wildlife, and a chance to explore Rosedale's industrial past from the old ironstone railway to illicit glassmaking.
- Redcar & Cleveland's Walking Festivals (June 2020, October 2020 and January/February 2021,)
Plenty of walks around Cleveland, led by Countryside Rangers, Loftus ACCORD Walking Group, Tees Valley Wildlife Trust, Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, River Tees Rediscovered and others.
- WalkFest (23-25 May 2020) CANCELLED (WalkFest will return in 2021)
Join us over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend for the return of our exciting walking festival! Come and join us and enjoy a great programme of guided themed walks in some very special places.
Loftus Parish is also a member of the 'Walkers are Welcome' committed to making visits from walkers as enjoyable as possible.
A little further afield, the Yorkshire Wolds Walking & Outdoors Festival is held over nine days every September, offering a mix of walking, cycling and riding tasters.
The Ramblers annual Festival of Winter Walks, held over the Christmas and New Year period, usually includes some walks in the North York Moors area. Check out their events calendar for the most up-to-date information.
Challenge events and charity walks
Pull on your walking boots (or running shoes) and take on a challenge with one of the many annual fundraising events organised by the local Long Distance Walkers Association groups, the two Mountain Rescue teams for the North York Moors area, local Boys' Brigade and Scouts groups, and other charities. Check their websites for specific dates.
- Back 'A Ayton in January (17 miles)
- Cleveland Survival in March (26ml or 12ml orienteering course to be completed within 12hrs)
- Follow the Seagulls charity walk in April for brainstrust (50 miles over two days)
- The Rotary Crown Tavern Charity Walk - join the 41st “Ruby Red” walk in April (8 or 22 miles)
- Whale Bones in May (22 miles)
- There's Plenty of Ups & Downs in June (18 miles)
- Cleveland Hike in June - a two day challenge hike for teams of 3+; as well as route finding each team faces a series of tasks ranging from general knowledge questions to Army assault courses and water obstacles. One day options now available too.
- Smugglers Trod in August (17 or 25 miles in 10hrs)
- The Castle to Abbey Coastal Challenge in April, May, July and September (24 miles) - launched to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Cleveland Way in 2019, this popular walk returns in 2020
- Kilburn Kanter in November (24 miles in 10hrs)
Find specific running and fell running events here.
- Time for you
- See and do
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- Our walks
- About our walks
- Easy access walks
- Long-distance walks
- WalkFest 2020
- Cleveland Way
- Esk Valley Walk
- Classic walks
- Guided walks and experiences
- Walking holidays and baggage carriers
- Walking friendly
- Festivals and events
- Walking with dogs
- Staying safe
- The Moors Message
- Rights of Way and Open Access
- Fell and road running
- Adventure activities
- Horse riding
- Wildlife watching
- Health and wellbeing
- On the water
- Organising events
- Flat green bowling
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us