We like our beer here in the North York Moors. With at least 160 independent breweries in Yorkshire, craft beer is on the rise over this side too. Pint glass in hand, keep an eye out for these real ales (artisan gin, cider and non-alcoholic beverages too) in pubs, beer festivals, hotels, farm shops and delis, and gift shops.
- Ampleforth Abbey - cider, cider brandy, apple liqueur, flavoured gins and monastic beer
- Bad Seed Brewery (Malton)
- Baytown - beer, cider and lager inspired by Robin Hood's Bay smuggling heritage
- Brass Castle (Malton) - open for tours around the tanks
- Captain Cook Brewery - brewing gems such as Endeavour since 1999, find their beer at the White Swan pub in Stokesley and the Bay Horse in Hutton Rudby
- The Captain Cook Distillery – new for 2018, and sister company to the brewery of the same name, Endeavour, First Voyage, is their first gin, handcrafted with 10 botanicals including heather tips from the North York Moors
- Great Yorkshire Brewery/Cropton Brewery (Cropton) - hand crafted cask, kegs and bottle conditioned real ale, lager and cider, tours of microbrewery also available, find it behind The New Inn.
- Helmsley Brewing Company - microbrewery complete with viewing gallery, tasting room and brewery tap
- Horsetown Beers - locally brewed ales that celebrate Malton and Norton's horse racing history past and present
- Lickerish Tooth (Egton) - micro distillery, hand crafted gins and vodkas from the North York Moors
- Orchards of Husthwaite - cider and juices pressed from apple and pear trees grown by Hustwaite's villagers and sold at the monthly Hovingham Village Market
- Rare Bird Distillery (Malton) - artisan gin plus gin school and tours
- Ryedale Brewing Company - brewed on the edge of the National Park, look out for their ales in pubs and restaurants
- Scarborough Brewery with brewery tap and bottle shop, music nights and brewery tours
- Suddaby's (Malton)
- Tree Top Press (Suffield) - produce real cider from 100% apple juice, picked and pressed by hand, as well as single-variety apple juices and fruit cordials
- Turning Point Brew Co. - microbrewery in Kirkbymoorside brewed using water from their onsite well
- Wainstones Brewery (Stokesley)
- Whitby Brewery - found in pubs around Whitby, or bottled in shops and restaurants, brewery tap too and brewery tours available on request
- Wold Top Brewery (Wold Newton)
You can also taste the fruits of the Skinningrove Country Wine Company. Their wine uses recipes based on traditional methods using homegrown or foraged blackberries, cowslips, elderberries, dandelions and more, and fermented using organic sugars and honeys. Find them at farmers' markets and local country shows.
SLOEmotion is also keen on harvesting the hedgerows to source sloes for their range of gin, vodka, brandy and whisky, and nothing goes to waste, with the spent fruit used to produce chocolate truffles and chutneys.