A Woodland Sanctuary
Saturday 16 July to Monday 12 September
As part of the National Park's 70th Anniversary
A joint exhibition of renowned photographers Simon Baxter and Joe Cornish. Their work has been gathered within the North York Moors National Park over the last five years. Woodland has been a source of exploration, tranquillity, meditation, artistic study and inspiration, and, especially during the pandemic, a solace for both photographers. Includes a series of special events, talks and walks:
Joe Cornish and Simon Baxter will be leading a number of in-depth exhibition tours over the opening weekend:
- Be the first to see the exhibition at a special preview evening. Introductory welcome speeches from Mark Littlejohn, Joe Cornish and Simon Baxter. Drinks and canapés included. Free event but booking essential.
- Talk and Tour Woodland Sanctuary Exhibition (Saturday 16 July and Sunday 17 July)
- Gallery talk with guest speaker, Lucy Lapwing on the ecology and wildlife of our ancient woodlands (16 July 1.30-2.15pm) - booking essential
- Mothy coffee (17 July 10am-12pm) - expert Lucy Lapwing gives an insight into the secret lives of moths, as well as identifying the moths captured in our moth trap. Free event, just drop-in, no need to book.
- Guest speaker Mark Littlejohn (17 July 1-1.45pm) - join award-winning landscape photographer Mark for an inspirational talk.
- An evening with... Joe Cornish and Simon Baxter (23 July 5.30-8.30pm) - hosted by photographer David Ward in conversation with Joe and Simon and guest speaker Sean Tucker, followed by drinks, canapés and music.
- Time out in the woods with Simon Baxter and Joe Cornish (28 July 1-4.30pm) - pick up tips from Simon and Joe on using your smartphone camera on an afternoon walk around May Beck and Falling Foss.
- The Art of Looking (12 and 26 August) - using charcoal and pencil to create your own work inspired by observation and photographs from the exhibition with artist Peter Reynolds. Booking essential.
- Exhibition closing events (10 and 11 September)
Saturday 10 September (12noon and 2pm) - Exhibition talk and tour with Simon & Joe - booking essential
Sunday 11 September (1pm - 5 pm) - Meet the photographers - booking essential
More details available on Simon Baxter's website.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- Capital of Cake
- TV and film locations
- Explore our quieter spots
- Forests and woodlands
- Retreat and romance
- Dark skies
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- Danby Lodge National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us