Major festivals and events
Events and Festivals are on hold for now
Due to COVID-19, this section of our website may not have the latest updates regarding externally-run events. All events in the near future have been cancelled. We will endeavour to remove cancelled events and add new dates where events are rearranged as soon as we are made aware of changes.
The North York Moors National Park Authority has cancelled all events, guided walks and other activities that were planned to take place until 31 August 2020. Further guidance regarding our events is available on the Sutton Bank National Park Centre page and The Moors National Park Centre page.
If an event you are due to attend is not run by the National Park Authority, please contact the event organiser directly.
The stunning National Park will be here waiting for you to enjoy fully when it is safe to do so and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. If you are thinking of visiting the North York Moors, please follow our guidelines for accessing the National Park safely.
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to a musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2020
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 9 – 22 North York Moors Chamber Music Festival: Renowned classical musicians from around the world gather in some of the North York Moors' most remote and beautiful historical buildings
- 29 – 30 1940s Living History August Bank Holiday Weekend, Eden Camp
- 1 – 30 Mindful Month, across the North York Moors
- 5 – 5 October Land of Iron – Back to Nature, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 5 – 6 Yorkshire Traction Engine Rally, Scampston Hall
- 12 – 13 Thriftfest Upcycled - this year the festival is being given a socially-distanced makeover to allow people to enjoy the event from afar and to adapt, share, create, learn and enjoy in an alternative way
- 13 All Services Parade & Remembrance Service, Eden Camp, Malton
- 19 – 20 Yorkshire Fossil Festival, Scarborough
- 20 Open Farm Sunday, visit one of a number of farms across the North York Moors
- 24 – 27 Autumn Harvest Festival, Castle Howard
- 10 – 9 November, A Portrait of Place (Gillies Jones 25th anniversary), Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 18 MoorsRun, North York Moors National Park in partnership with Hardmoors Race Series present the Turnpike Trot 10k and the Rabbit Run 5k
- Dates TBC Illuminated Abbey, Whitby Abbey
- 30 – 1 November Whitby Goth Weekend, Whitby
- Date TBC Halloween: Fear in the Forest, Dalby Forest
- 6 – 30 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 14 – 15 Christmas Craft Fair, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- 14 – 24 February 2021 Brigantia’s Box of Delights, Inspired by... gallery, Danby
- From 14 Castle Howard at Christmas: experience this magnificent house decked out and lit by candle and firelight
- 20 – 21 Whitby 70’s Big Weekend, Whitby Pavilion
- 21 – 22 Christmas Shopping Weekend, Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- 28 – 29 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 28 – 29 Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 1 – 13 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 4 – 6 Robin Hood's Bay 27th Victorian Weekend, Robin Hood's Bay
- 5 – 6 Christmas through Time, Ryedale Folk Museum
- 5 – 6, 12 – 13, 19 – 20 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 5 – 6, 12 – 13, 19 – 20 Northern Lights Express, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Date tbc Christmas Lights, Thornton le Dale
- Dates tbc Christmas at Dalby Forest
- Dates tbc Christmas at Nunnington Hall
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us