One of our core missions at the North York Moors National Park is to improve people’s health and wellbeing. We believe this comes in all shapes and forms, from creating those special memories to cherish in your mind for years to come, to the physical with indoor and outdoor activities which enhance that positive mind frame.
Beyond our walks, cycle trails and quality food and drink, we’re going to take a look at some of the standout things you may like to do during you visit to help recharge the batteries.
Adventures for the Soul (various locations)
Alison Goodwin, a yoga teacher and former Zen Buddhist offers experiences (both programmed and bespoke) that are all about using nature to help soothe the soul and hit the pause button on normal life.
Whether it’s mindfulness walks through scenic woodland or along dramatic coastline, yoga classes combined with a spot of stargazing or mini-adventures with your family, be prepared to be more accepting of life after one of Alison’s sessions.
Find out more from her website or go straight to the events calendar.
Yoga and Spice (near Whitby)
Partners Lorraine and Mark, run Yoga & Spice, a mini retreat centre, welcoming guests with log cabins set in four acres of private woodland at Valley View on the edge of the National Park and just a stone’s throw from the coast at Whitby.
All the rooms open directly onto their own area of woodland so guests can soak in and enjoy the healing power of nature. They can offer personalised yoga and/or wellness retreats or relaxation breaks for groups of friends or family members. These might include various styles of yoga, mindfulness, meditation, diet and lifestyle consultations or plant-based cooking sessions. All the produce is grown organically on site.
Check out their website for more information.
Want more Yoga and relaxation experiences?
- Helen from Happy Seal Yoga runs yoga by the sea at various locations along the Yorkshire coast including Whitby and Sandsend.
- Try a yogging class with Heather at Runswick Bay or Great Fryup Dale.
- The Tree Relaxation Retreat in Rosedale offers yoga sessions and relaxations weekends. Leave your everyday stresses behind and enjoy the soothing benefits of yoga, meditation, delicious vegetarian food, holistic treatments.
- Head to Saltburn and visit the Yoga, Meditation and Therapy Space or Saltburn Wellbeing Centre for yoga, Tai Chi and healing meditations.
- Town End Farm at Appleton le Moors near Kirkbymoorside are now hosting a number of yoga retreats including Wellness Space and Dementia Adventure.
There’s lots more happening further afield, yoga and Ayurveda, and mindfulness classes can be found in Scarborough, whilst The Frog Project runs yoga and cycling day retreats connecting with the beauty of the North York Moors' landscape.