North York Moors Art Award
The iconic landscapes, magnificent wildlife and rich cultural heritage of the North York Moors have inspired artists for generations. To celebrate this unique environment, the North York Moors National Park Trust and Inspired by… gallery teamed up to host the first North York Moors Art Award in 2019.
Thank you to everyone who entered the first Art Award in 2019, which is expected to return in 2021. To find out more about the 2019 winners and criteria to enter, please see below.
2019 Art Award Winners
1st - Ian McCulley for 'Untitled Landscape'
2nd - Chantal Barnes for 'Bruised Moor'
Joint 1st - Heather Davies for 'Another Angle' and Emma Whitelock for 'No Words'
Public Choice Prize
Julie Lightburn for 'The Colours of Joy'
2019 theme: Landscapes of the Mind and Heart
For our inaugural award, the subject for submitted pieces and subsequent exhibition is Landscape of the Mind and Heart. This award is an opportunity for artists to encapsulate and present their vision of aspects of the North York Moors which may be influenced by personal feelings and experiences that are generated by interacting with this most beautiful area.
The natural world has always been one of the most celebrated settings onto which many artists project their beliefs, feelings, and the most celebrated and progressive ideas about the new trends and developments that art should reflect. Art can renew our connection with nature, from the picture that appreciates nature for what it is, to the challenging piece expressing our complex human connection to nature. Art can address environmental issues and topics about conservation, sustainability, preservation, biodiversity, and threatened habitats.
Our award invites artists to explore their connection with the landscape.
Prize and exhibition
There is a £500 cash award to the winning submission and a further 3 awards of £250 for 2nd Prize, People's Prize and the Inspired by…gallery Supporters’ Prize. All finalists' work will be displayed in the North York Moors Art Award Exhibition from 3 August to 2 September 2019 at the Inspired by... gallery before going on tour, including an exhibition at Kirkleatham Museum.
The award will be presented to the recipient at the official award ceremony of the North York Moors Art Award Exhibition on 23 August 2019.
The exhibition entries will be selected by a panel appointed by the North York Moors National Park Trust and Inspired by… gallery. All works will be judged on individual merit and the judges’ decision is final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into. Work that has been selected for display must remain in the gallery until close of exhibition, unless sold.
Eligibility for Artists and Artworks
1. The exhibition is for paintings (any paint media) created since 1 January 2018 and must not have been previously commercially exhibited.
2. The work must be of, or inspired by, the North York Moors National Park.
3. Artists may submit a single piece only.
4. All exhibited pieces must be available for sale.
5. The perimeter of framed artwork (including the frame) should measure no more than 300cm or 120 inches.
1. Initial submissions are online only. Artists should complete the online application form. Artists are required to submit one image of their piece in .pdf or .jpeg format. (Jpeg files, not less than 2048 x 1536 pixels, file size no larger than 1MB).
2. The panel will review all digitally submitted work and select pieces to go to a second review.
3. If artwork is chosen to go through to the second review, artists will be asked to send or deliver their actual work to the Inspired by… gallery at The Moors National Park Centre in Danby.
4. The final selection will take place to select pieces for the exhibition and to select all finalists. Artists will be asked to collect any works not accepted for the exhibition.
For more information and the Award Terms & Conditions please see the North York Moors National Park Trust website.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- TV and film locations
- Ideas for sunny days
- Forests and woodlands
- Retreat and romance
- Dark skies
- Capital of Cake
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us