Arts and craft courses
We have an exciting programme of arts and craft courses and workshops in the gallery during 2019. We also hold talks, and other events at various times of the year, including an eclectic musical programme.
For more information and bookings, please call the Inspired by… gallery on 01439 772737 or go to our EventBrite page where online booking is available.
A 10% discount is offered on up to four workshops in a calendar year for our Inspired by... gallery Supporters (with the exception of the WEA Adult Learning Courses which are booked directly with WEA).
Workshops at Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- Family Drawing Workshop (Saturday 7 September 10am-1pm and 2-5pm) - Join artist-in-residence Debbie Loane on a short walk along the Cleveland Way to Garbutt Wood, Debbie will explain some of her techniques for finding interesting things, taking photos and making quick sketches. From these a beautiful record of the walk will be created in the form of a concertina book. All necessary equipment and materials are provided. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Minimum age 7. Booking essential.
- Natural Landscape Workshop (Sunday 8 September 10am-4pm) - Join Debbie Loane for a guided walk along the Cleveland Way towards Garbutt Wood nature reserve. Debbie will explain some of her techniques and participants will be encouraged to collect materials to make their own mark making tools. Back at the centre, create brushes and tools and experiment with mark making to make a concertina book incorporating your experiences of the walk. All necessary equipment and materials are provided. Minimum age 18. Booking essential.
Awakening the Writer Within (Sunday 8 September 1pm-4.30pm)
Be inspired to write by the sights and sounds of the North York Moors. Janet Dean and Clara Challoner Walker lead a series of writing workshop using the landscape, flora, fauna and art to stimulate your poetry and prose. Beginners and more experienced writers welcome. Paper and pens provided.
Cost: £25 including materials; (minimum age 18); Book online. A 10% discount is offered on workshops as part of our Inspired by... gallery Supporters Scheme.
Art Appreciation – WEA Adult Learning Courses
With guest lecturers from the renowned Workers’ Educational Association, we present a series of full-day art appreciation courses at The Moors National Park Centre, Danby. The courses are friendly, accessible and enjoyable, and cover the following subjects:
- David Hockney’s Yorkshire Landscapes (Saturday 14 September). Explore the way in which Hockey’s deep affinity with the Yorkshire landscape combined with his love of bold colours led to striking depictions of rural views. Book now.
- Art in the 19th Century: Realists and Romantics (Saturday 19 October). Study the fascinating development of artistic styles in Europe during the 19th century. Beginning with Neo-Classicism and ending with Realism and the origins of French Impressionism. Book now.
All courses cost: £25 (minimum age 18) and run from 10am-4pm with a one hour lunch break. Free to those in receipt of a means-tested benefit. Bring a packed lunch or refreshments are available at The Moors National Park Centre. Advance booking essential direct with WEA or call 0300 3033464
Wire Sculpture Workshop (Saturday 21 September, 10:30am–4:30pm)
Using simple tools and techniques and with step by step guidance from Chris Moss, you’ll learn how to make a small scribble-wire bird for display indoors or out. No previous experience is required and all tools and materials are supplied. This workshop is for all aptitudes and participants should leave with at least two finished projects. Minimum age 14 (14-16 must be accompanied by an adult, 16–18 will require a consent form).
Cost: £48 including all materials and light refreshments. Bring a packed lunch or refreshments are available at The Moors National Park Centre. Advance booking essential. Book online. FULLY BOOKED
Painting with Acrylics (22 September 10.30am–4.30pm)
We welcome back James McGairy one of the gallery's favourites to lead these small-group workshops focusing on acrylic paint, a forgiving medium for beginners and more experienced artist alike. James will demonstrate his methods and you’ll leave at the end of the day with your own painting. Minimum age 14 (14-16 must be accompanied by an adult, 16–18 will require a consent form).
Cost: £45 including all materials, lunch and refreshments. Advance booking essential (18 August is now fully booked). Book online
Nature Print Workshop (Saturday 26 October, 11am–4pm)
Join experts in print making, Wendy Tate and Rob Moore, on a nature inspired day, walking in, and using landscape as a theme to produce a mixed media artist’s book that includes printmaking. This workshop is suitable for beginners and more experienced artists alike. Bespoke sketchbooks for the walk, drawing materials and printmaking materials for use back in the workshop are all provided. Additional materials may be brought along (drawing implements such as pencils, graphite, pen and ink, watercolours and oil pastels) but this is not essential. Minimum age 16.
Cost: £45 including materials. Bring a packed lunch or refreshments are available at The Moors National Park Centre. Advance booking essential. Book online.
Inspired by... Art Young Artist Workshops
New for 2019, art workshops suitable for children aged 7 to 12 years (unless otherwise stated).
- Inspiring Children through Nature (Saturday 2 November, 10:30am–12:30pm and 1:30–3:30pm, £7.50). Wendy Tate and Rob Moore begin their workshop with a walk round the grounds to collect plants, leaves, feathers and grasses. Returning with their treasures, you'll make a little book of natural wonders through a mono-printing process using non-toxic water-based inks. Suitable for children aged 8 to 12 years old. Book online
All necessary equipment and materials are provided. Please bring suitable clothing and footwear for a nature walk. Children to be dropped off and collected from the gallery (consent form required). Booking essential or call 01439 772738.
Creations in Willow with Willow Expert Anthea Firth
Willow expert, Anthea Firth, is leading a number of special willow workshops this year at The Moors National Park Centre. The workshops are aimed at beginners as well as those with some experience of the craft. You'll learn the core techniques required for willow working as well as the specific skills needed to create your willow creation. Please wear comfortable casual clothes. Materials and tools provided. Learn how to make:
- Poultry (Sunday 15 September); £45 including materials. Book online FULLY BOOKED
- Stag's head (Saturday 12 October); £50 including materials. Book online FULLY BOOKED
- Alternative Christmas Tree (Sunday 10 November); £45 including materials. Book online
- Standing deer (Saturday 23 November); £50 including materials. Book online FULLY BOOKED
- Christmas door ring and small rustic decoration (Sunday 8 December); £45 including materials. Book online
All workshops 10am-3pm. Minimum age 18. Advance booking essential for all workshops.
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Capital of Cake
- Amazing views
- Ideas for sunny days
- Forests and woodlands
- Dog friendly
- Geology rocks!
- Great for kids
- TV and film locations
- Dark skies
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- The English National Park Experience Collection
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us