There's cycling for all at Sutton Bank National Park Centre. It's a great starting-place to access the bridleways, tracks and minor roads in the western half of the National Park.
Bring your own bike or hire one at the Centre, pick up a trail map and off you go!
Out on the trails
- A new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail is the starting point for our other cycle trails. With a wider track than the other trails, families can ride side-by-side, as well as providing an option for those using hand crank bikes. Ride gently around the track or pick out the jumps and banked corners for a more adventurous pedal. You can also ride the figure-of-eight trail as two shorter options or go round the trail as many times as you like!
- 3-mile 'Cliff Trail' (green), great for families and beginners
- Off-road adventures on the more challenging 'Fort' (blue, 5.5 or 7.5 mile options), 'Drovers' (blue, 10 miles), and 'Paradise' (red, 17.5 miles) trails
- Test yourself in the 'skills area' perfect for kids starting out
- A new all-weather 330-metre pump track for mountain bikers, enjoy the thrills of riding a loop of banked turns and rollers and improve your skills
- Parking, toilets and Park Life Café at the National Park Centre
Sutton Bank Bikes
There's bike hire, plus a cycle shop, service centre and bike wash at Sutton Bank Bikes, located at the National Park Centre. They also offer bike maintenance courses and guided rides.
- Hire - Adult and children's mountain bikes and road bikes, tag-alongs, bike trailers and baby seats
- E-bikes for hire too!
- Cycle shop for bikes, hardware, clothing and accessories
- Woodburner in winter
- Photo ID required to hire
Summer opening: Thursday-Monday (10am-5pm). Bike hire is also available (10am-4.30pm) but please call
Please follow any procedures they have in place.
For further information and hire prices, call
Sutton Bank National Park Centre, YO7 2EH, on the A170, 6 miles east of Thirsk or 8 miles west of Helmsley.
Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project
The new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail/cyclocross course and pump track are part of the Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project, funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- TV and film locations
- Ideas for sunny days
- Forests and woodlands
- Retreat and romance
- Dark skies
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us