There's cycling for all at Sutton Bank National Park Centre. It's a great starting-place to access the bridleways, tracks and minor roads in the western half of the National Park.
Bring your own bike or hire one at the Centre, pick up a trail map and off you go!
Out on the trails
- A new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail is the starting point for our other cycle trails. With a wider track than the other trails, families can ride side-by-side, as well as providing an option for those using hand crank bikes. Ride gently around the track or pick out the jumps and banked corners for a more adventurous pedal. You can also ride the figure-of-eight trail as two shorter options or go round the trail as many times as you like!
- 3-mile 'Cliff Trail' (green), great for families and beginners
- Off-road adventures on the more challenging 'Fort' (blue, 5.5 or 7.5 mile options), 'Drovers' (blue, 10 miles), and 'Paradise' (red, 17.5 miles) trails
- Test yourself in the 'skills area' perfect for kids starting out
- A new all-weather 330-metre pump track for mountain bikers, enjoy the thrills of riding a loop of banked turns and rollers and improve your skills
- Parking, toilets and Park Life Café at the National Park Centre
Sutton Bank Bikes
There's bike hire, plus a cycle shop, service centre and bike wash at Sutton Bank Bikes, located at the National Park Centre. They also offer bike maintenance courses and guided rides.
- Hire - Adult and children's mountain bikes and road bikes, tag-alongs, bike trailers and baby seats
- E-bikes for hire too!
- Cycle shop for bikes, hardware, clothing and accessories
- Woodburner in winter
- Photo ID required to hire
Winter opening: Daily during half-term, then Thursday to Monday (10am-4.30pm). Bike hire is also available but please call
For further information and hire prices, call
Sutton Bank Bikes organise an exciting range of biking events throughout the year:
- 16 July, 29 October - Shredders and Rippers Kids Time Trial. Five age groups split across the skills loop outside Sutton Bank Bikes shop for the Shredders (balance bikes up to 8 year olds), plus the Rippers time trial on the pump track and cyclocross loop (for 8-12 year olds). Call Sutton Bank Bikes to sign on (01845 597759).
- 21 July (evening) - Pump Track Challenge, new for 2022 on the Sutton Bank pump track
- 25 September – Top of the Rock Gravel Sportive, starting 1000ft up on the spectacular Sutton Bank escarpment, take a grand tour across moor ‘n dale on gravel trails. Choice of three routes: Short: 25k (15.5 miles), Medium: 50k (31 miles) or Long: 75k (46.5 miles). Expect spectacular autumn colours, a relaxed and fun vibe with smooth and flowing to technically and physically challenging trails, as well as a beer tent at the end! Booking details to follow.
- 1 October - New for 2022 Dirty Duathlon (run-bike-run). An off-road sportive, with a six mile run, followed by a 13 mile off-road mountain bike ride and a second lap of the six mile run. Enter online.
- 5 November and 3 December - Double Cross Races. New for 2022, a winter cyclocross series on the cyclocross course at Sutton Bank. More details to follow later in the year.
Please note the pump track and cyclocross loop will be subject to the following closures to allow the events to run safely:
- Pump track and cyclocross loop - 16 July and 29 October (9am-12.30pm)
- Pump track only - 21 July (6.30-8pm)
- Pump track and cyclocross loop - 1 October (times tbc)
- Cyclocross loop only - 5 November and 3 December (9am-1pm)
A signed diversion will be in place showing how to access the wider network of trails (Fort/Paradise/Drovers).
Sutton Bank National Park Centre, YO7 2EH, on the A170, 6 miles east of Thirsk or 8 miles west of Helmsley.
Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project
The new all-weather 1.5-mile family-friendly trail/cyclocross course and pump track are part of the Sutton Bank National Park Centre: the Gateway to the North York Moors project, funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- Capital of Cake
- TV and film locations
- Explore our quieter spots
- Forests and woodlands
- Retreat and romance
- Dark skies
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- Danby Lodge National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us