Major festivals and events
Due to COVID-19, this section of our website may not have the latest updates regarding externally-run events.
If you're visiting the North York Moors, please follow our guidelines for accessing the National Park responsibly.
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend while we play host to a series of popular creative workshops at the Inspired by… gallery throughout the year. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world.
Guided walks 2021
Major events 2021
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 1 – 4 Responses to Nature, Inspired by... gallery, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- 1 – 17 Exhibition: Jonathan Pomroy, Artist-in-Residence Jonathan Pomroy marks his year at The Yorkshire Arboretum
- 1 – 14 November In the Open: an open art exhibition, Ryedale Folk Museum
- 8 – 31 (selected dates only) Scream Factory (adult and kids twilight tours available), Kirkleatham Museum
- 9 – 8 November Reflections on Landscape, Inspired by... gallery, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- 14 – 30 The Offing, Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough (a new adaptation of Benjamin Myers’ book set in Robin Hood’s Bay)
- 17 MoorsRun, North York Moors National Park in partnership with Hardmoors Race Series present the Turnpike Trot 10k and the Rabbit Run 5k. Enter online.
- 22 – 31 Dark Skies Fringe Festival, with a stellar line-up of speakers, including top astronomers
- 22 – 31 The Wizards of Once Halloween Quest, Whitby Abbey
- 22 – 24 Musicport Festival, Whitby
- 23 Community Heritage Festival, Guisborough
- 23 – 24 Apple Weekend, Helmsley Walled Garden
- 23 – 24 Autumn Festival, Nunnington Hall
- 23 – 31 Illuminated Abbey, Whitby Abbey
- 23 – 31 Light Spectacular, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 23 – 31 Folklore - October Half Term, Nunnington Hall
- 23 – 30 Pumpkin Patch, Yorkshire Lavender, Terrington
- 25 – 29 Youth Conservation Residential, Rosedale Abbey
- 29 – 31 Tomorrow's Ghosts Festival, Whitby
- 30 Fear in the Forest, Dalby Forest
We've also got family treasure hunts, nature adventure days and plenty of fun activities for children to do throughout the October half term holiday at our two National Park Centres based at Sutton Bank and Danby. Drop in any time to find out more and pick up a trail. Some activities may need pre-booking.
- 6 Woodland Photography Workshop with Joe Cornish, Anya's Wood, near Hawnby
- 13 Care and repair of timber windows (traditional buildings workshop), Helmsley
- 13 – 16 January 2022 Brigantia's Bounty, Inspired by... gallery, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby (weekends only from 4 January)
- 13 – 16 January 2022 Merry Mouse and the Lost Parcels Trail, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby (weekends only from 4 January)
- 13 – 16 January 2022 The Big Bank Parcel Hunt, Sutton Bank National Park Centre (weekends only from 4 January)
- 13 – 3 January 2022 Christmas in Narnia, Castle Howard. Journey through the grand state rooms and experience installations inspired by the C.S. Lewis novels, as the historic house is turned into the wintery, magical land of Narnia.
- 26 – end March 2022 Whitby Winter Festival
- 27 – 28 Christmas Shopping Weekend, Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- 27 – 28 Virtual Santa Weekends, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby (drop-in anytime between 11am and 3pm)
- 27 – 28 Meet Father Christmas, Nunnington Hall
- 1 – 3 January 2022 Christmas in Narnia, Castle Howard. Journey through the grand state rooms and experience installations inspired by the C.S. Lewis novels, as the historic house is turned into the wintery, magical land of Narnia.
- 3 – 5 Robin Hood's Bay Victorian Weekend
- 4 – 5 Whitby Krampus Run, Whitby
- 4 – 5, 10 – 12, 17 – 19 Percy the Park Keeper's winter wander trail, Nunnington Hall
- 4 – 5, 11 – 12 Virtual Santa Weekends, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby (drop-in anytime between 11am and 3pm)
- 4 – 5, 11 – 12, 18 – 24 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway (from Pickering and Grosmont)
- 4 – 5, 11 – 12, 18 – 19 Meet Father Christmas, Nunnington Hall
Major events 2022
It's a big year for the North York Moors as the National Park celebrates its 70th birthday in 2022!
- 15 Care and construction of thatched roofs (traditional building workshop), Helmsley
- 21 The Battle of Byland 1322 - Yorkshire's Forgotten Conflict - Fascinating guest lecture previewing the 700th anniversary of this significant but largely untold significant battle which took place at Sutton Bank
- 29 – 30 Big Garden Birdwatch - Join in the RSPB's annual birdwatching weekend, with events at both of our National Park Centres at Sutton Bank and Danby
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us