Draft Local Plan - Current Thinking
Current Thinking (October 2017)
Work is continuing on a new Local Plan for the North York Moors, which will cover the period 2016-35. When completed it will replace the current Core Strategy and Development Policies document (2008) and sit alongside the Helmsley Local Plan and Whitby Business Park Area Action Plan to form what is known as our development plan. Policies within the development plan are the main determinant when deciding applications for planning permission.
Towards the end of 2017 we asked for comments and feedback on three key areas for the New Local Plan - settlement hierarchy, housing strategy and Important Undeveloped and Community Spaces. We produced a short document which poses thirteen questions around a possible policy approach to these areas. Consultation has now closed.
For those who want more background on these topics or more information about how we arrived at our suggested way forward three topics papers have been produced. These also discuss possible alternative ways forward, or options.
We are also proposing that we designate what we are terming 'Important Undeveloped Spaces' and 'Community Spaces' in Helmsley and sixty one villages.
- Important Undeveloped Spaces will be identified because they contribute to the form and distinctive character of a particular place. The intention of the Important Undeveloped Spaces designation would be to protect the character and charm of the built up areas of the North York Moors by steering development away from the more sensitive spaces and to provide clarity to local residents and potential developers. Spaces would be included within Helmsley and the Villages only as land outside would be treated under policy as open countryside and therefore not suitable for development.
- Community Spaces will be identified where there are communal and accessible spaces of a particular value to a local community, because they provide opportunities for physical exercise, quiet contemplation or places to meet. We are proposing that Community Spaces could include allotments, play areas, recreation fields, unregistered village greens sports facilities and playing fields (cricket, tennis, bowls, quoits etc.) and religious grounds.
The First Steps Document (September 2016)
Consultation on the first stage of our Local Plan review, called 'First Steps' ran for an eleven week period to 18 November 2016. The purpose of the consultation was to gain initial views on what people think about the North York Moors National Park generally - what they value about it, what needs improvement, and what people think the key issues are. We have examined all responses and would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond. A report summarising the responses to the consultation is available.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) and Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
If you are interested in the timetable and details for production of the new Local Plan information is contained in the Authority's Local Development Scheme (LDS) which was adopted by the National Park Authority on 20 July 2017. A Statement of Community Involvement has also been produced which explains how we will consult with the public on the draft Local Plan.
The Evidence Base
The contents of the new Local Plan will be informed by various technical reports and studies. Details of the evidence prepared so far is available on our Evidence Base page.
Keep In Touch
If you wish to be notified when we publish information relating to the new Local Plan, please join our mailing list.
- Looking after
- Policies and Plans
- Housing policies
- Supplementary planning documents
- Minerals and Waste Joint Plan
- Current consultations
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Community Infrastructure Levy
- Draft Local Plan - First Steps
- Evidence Base
- Custom and Self-Build Register
- Local Development Scheme & Statement of Community Involvement
- Draft Local Plan - Current Thinking
- A Sense of Tranquillity, a Strong Feeling of Remoteness and Dark Night Skies - Consultation
- Brownfield Land Register
- Draft Local Plan - Preferred Options
- Planning applications
- View an application
- Meet the Planning Team
- Building conservation
- Planning advice notes
- Sirius Minerals Polyhalite Mine (WoodSmith Mine)
- Fracking (shale gas)
- Planning, administration and enforcement advice
- Policies and Plans
- About us