We've all gone baking mad thanks to the popularity of those bake-off shows on the telly but if you'd rather just pick up the finest real bread then spend hours kneading dough, you'll need to know where the best artisan bakeries in the North York Moors are. From buns to sourdough bread, to cakes and tray bakes, you're sure to find something to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Cinnamon Twist (17 Church St, Helmsley YO62 5AD), is hidden away from the main market place in Helmsley around the corner opposite the church. Nevertheless people don't seem to have any trouble finding this artisan bakery. The craft bread is all gorgeous, but the real delight is not knowing what sweet treats will be on offer each day. Fresh seasonal fruit frangipane, lemon tarts, apple cake, danish pastries and possibly the best chocolate croissant around, grab it when you can.
- E. Botham & Sons is Whitby's best-known and oldest (since 1865) family run craft bakers. Pick up firm favourites Yorkshire 'brack', plum bread and parkin from their outlets in Whitby, Sleights and Pickering, or sit down and enjoy them over a cuppa at their tearooms in Skinner Street and Baxtergate (both in Whitby) and in Pickering, directly opposite the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
- Haxby Bakery, a regular at the monthly Hovingham Village Market and Malton Monthly Food Market, as well as running their own bakery in Haxby. This is the home of real sourdough bread.
- Head to Malton, Yorkshire's Food Capital, to find a collection of artisan bakeries, including Bluebird Bakery, Costello's (famed for their pies) and YO Bakehouse.
- A stroll away from Castle Howard in Welburn is the delightful artisan bakery and café, Leaf and Loaf, where you can drool over the treats in the chiller cabinet. Take advantage of the Howardian Hill’s mapped gentle road bike rides which start from nearby Malton and earn an extra cake or two.
- Be organised to benefit from the delights of Roots & Fruits Home Bakery, as you'll need to pre-order their delicious speciality organic bread and gluten free cakes for pick-up Wednesdays to Saturdays from Sinnington, you won't regret it. Although if you frequent any tearoom or pub in close proximity, you'll likely be enjoying their wares. Plus you'll usually find them at Hovingham Village Market and Helmsley Artisan Food Market.
- Stonehouse Bakery in Danby, a firm favourite for more than 20 years, and has outlets in Saltburn and Loftus too. It may be a small craft bakery but it offers a huge selection of breads and delicious treats; their Chimp bar will fuel you for any walk around the beautiful Esk Valley. Its Danby store is also a popular teashop especially with walkers and cyclists.
- White Cottage Bakery produces pork pies, sausage rolls, fresh bread, irresistible pastries, and seasonal cakes, and prides themselves on sourcing local ingredients, including beef and pork. Find Michael Pern at the monthly Hovingham Village Market and you may spot them serving fresh stone baked pizzas from their mobile pizza oven at events and shows around the North York Moors.