Christmas wrapped up
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...
In the festive run up, why not take a look at our seasonal gift ideas that celebrate the North York Moors and take the stress out of Christmas shopping?
Head to our National Park Centres at Danby and Sutton Bank
From stocking fillers to gifts for that 'hard to buy for' relative, our Centres have plenty of options for presents that you'd be hard pushed to find on the high street.
You'll find plenty of ideas in the The Moors National Park Centre's annual Christmas Craft Fair. Returning this year on 17 and 18 November, the fair celebrates the best of contemporary and traditional local arts, craftmakers and seasonal gifts from jewellery, ceramics and textiles, to natural skincare, artisan gin, fudge and handmade chocolates. As well as the wide-ranging goods on the stalls, seasonal gifts will be on sale in the Centre’s shop. Meet the makers and pick up a unique gift. Don't forget to drop into Brigantia's Yorkshire 'Hygge' exhibition in the Inspired by... gallery, showcasing Brigantia's local artists and craftworkers from 16 November 2018 until 20 January 2019.
Little ones can also enjoy the festive fair as Santa will be making a special appearance in his ‘winter woodland’ workshop. Drop by between 10:30am - 4pm for traditional music, children’s craft-making activities and storytelling.
Over at Sutton Bank National Park Centre, the special Christmas Shopping Weekend is back on 24 and 25 November. Enjoy a relaxed approach to gift buying and peruse our wide range of local gifts that you won't find on the high street. All weekend they'll be tasting tables, live music, wool felting workshops, children's crafts and a Christmas trail to get into the spirit. Plus if you spend £25 or more, you'll receive a 10% discount in the gift shop and bike shop.
Both events are free, and you can drop in anytime.
The Centres will be open daily in November and December from 10.30am until 4pm (apart from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). The Centre cafés serve seasonal food and drink, and both locations have great family-friendly walks from the door too!
Why not do something a bit different this Christmas and give an experience as a gift? From foraging through to photography workshops, here's some of the best North York Moors experiences.
- With the Dark Skies Festival on the horizon (15 February - 3 March 2019), give a loved one an experience they'll never forget from Stargazing Evenings and Go Ape! Night Zip to Night Time Photography Workshops and Candlelight Walks.
- For an unforgettable wildlife experience, go for a gift voucher from the experts at Yorkshire Coast Nature valid on any of their photography workshops, trips or wildlife safaris. Fill in their contact form or give them a call on 01723 865498.
- Got a creative flair? Cober Hill have a range of craft and art workshops to suit any artistic appetite, including Oil Painting and Willow Weaving.
- For the foodies in your family, let them hone their cooking skills at one of the excellent Cookery Schools in the area, choose from Arches Cookery School or Malton Cookery School.
- For cyclists, buy a great two wheeled experience for use at Sutton Bank Bikes and Dalby Bike Barn and improve the family's biking skills on one of their cycling courses.
- For those who enjoy a challenge in the great outdoors, book an adventure with one of these experts from sea kayaking, bushcraft and gorge scrambling through to gliding and social walking breaks, there's something to suit all tastes.
With so many great events and activities on in the run up to Christmas, why not book a late autumn escape to one of the North York Moors' forests? It's the perfect time for leaf watching, as our forests are full of rich gold and red hues. Pack your woollies and your wellies, bring the dog, and get ready to explore on a pre-Christmas break at Forest Holidays in Keldy and Cropton Forest.
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Capital of Cake
- Amazing views
- Christmas wrapped up
- Ideas for rainy days
- Forests and woodlands
- Nature calendar
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Dark skies
- Train journeys
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us