All aboard! Unmissable train journeys
Hop aboard some of the UK’s most iconic railways and experience a nostalgic journey across the North York Moors. Here’s a selection of unforgettable journeys with amazing views to match, so start planning your next trip!
Esk Valley Railway
Enjoy the picturesque train line that connects Middlesbrough to Whitby, stopping off at the tranquil Esk Valley villages. Fancy a pub crawl with a difference? Hop on The Rail Ale Trail and jump off at local alehouses along the route. Every Friday evening during summer, the Music and Ale Trains feature real ale and live music on board too.
Discover more about the Esk Valley Railway.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Take a trip down memory lane on board the world’s most popular steam heritage railway. Experience 24 miles of dramatic countryside as you journey from Pickering to Whitby behind Steam Locomotives and Heritage Diesel Engines.
Discover more about the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
Railroads on foot
The 3.5mile Rail Trail, which follows the route of George Stephenson’s original 1836 railway line from Goathland to Grosmont, has a new path giving public access to the Esk Valley Mine for the first time. Interpretation is helping to tell the story of the mine, its workings, and the community that was built around it. Please note that at this site there is very limited parking and we would encourage all visitors, where able, to walk to the site using the Rail Trail route.
The Rail Trail can be combined with a leg on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (make sure you walk from Goathland to Grosmont otherwise you’ll be puffing uphill and the train will be coasting down). Purchase the trail booklet at one of our National Park Centres or the heritage railway’s shops.
Rosedale Mineral Railway is an accessible and dramatically scenic level loop that can be enjoyed on foot, two wheels or hooves! Be transported to Rosedale’s ironstone industry as you walk past the remaining kilns, workers cottages and various ruins from a bygone era.
If you’d prefer a shorter experience try one of these:
- Train-crazy tots will love a ride on the miniature railway in four acres of tranquil riverside grounds at Chainbridge near Sleights.
- The Saltburn Miniature Railway is a 15 inch gauge railway that offers a stunning route running from the seafront to valley garden. With a fleet of four locomotives, you can rest assured there’s space for prams, wheelchairs and dogs too.
- While in Saltburn you might like to try the Funicular Cliff Lift too. Opened in 1884 it’s the oldest railway of its kind, powered by water tanks. Open every weekend from April to October and daily during peak season.
- Hop aboard the ‘Flying Yorkshireman’ loco on the Cedar Barn Miniature Railway, head through the Redgate tunnel and enjoy views of apple orchards and soft fruit fields. If the views of the delicious strawberries become too much you can always get off to pick your own.
- On weekends enjoy sitting on top of model steam rail locomotives as you journey around the track at Gilling with The Ryedale Society of Model Engineers. There is also a grassy children's playground and a Wendy house for the little ones.
The Annual Steam Gala, hosted by the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, celebrates all things steam with an array of home and visiting locos. Stations along the heritage line get involved hosting beer festivals and music evenings.
Pickering’s busiest weekend Railway in Wartime encompasses the 1940s and relives the spirit and camaraderie of World War II, demonstrated with parades, vehicle exhibitions, wartime recipe demos, vintage flea markets and re-enactments at stations along the line.
- Time for You
- See and do
- Explore the North York Moors
- Amazing views
- TV and film locations
- Forests and woodlands
- Retreat and romance
- Dark skies
- Dog friendly
- Land of myths & legends
- Market towns and villages
- Inspired by... gallery
- Sutton Bank National Park Centre
- The Moors National Park Centre
- Out and About guide
- National Park Experiences
- North York Moors Coast
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us