Major festivals and events
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, three nights of atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to an exciting musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2018
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
- 7 MoorsRun, North York Moors National Park in partnership with Hardmoors Race Series present the Turnpike Trot 10k And The Rabbit Run 5k
- 12 – 14 Railway in Wartime, North Yorkshire Moors Railway: turn the clock back to 1940s for this popular event with street parades, vehicle displays and re-enactments along the line. Special events at Pickering Castle and Beck Isle Museum too.
- 19 – 21 Musicport Festival, Whitby Pavilion: the UK's biggest indoor world music festival
- 20 – 13 November Time and Place, Inspired by… gallery
- 22 – 26 Musicport on Tour 2018
- 25 – 31 Illuminated Abbey, Whitby Abbey
- 26 – 28 Whitby Goth Weekend, Whitby
- 27 – 31 Halloween Trains, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 27 – 28 Autumn Festival, Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
- 31 Halloween – Fear in the Forest, Dalby Forest: a spooky walk through the woods
- 5 Skinningrove Bonfire
- 9 Chamber Music Concert Jamie Walton, Musical Director for the North York Moors Chamber Music Festival, presents an exhibition concert, Inspired by... gallery, Danby
- 14 – 30 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 16 – 20 January 2019 Brigantia’s Yorkshire ‘Hygge’, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 17 – 18 Christmas Craft Fair, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby
- 17 – 18, 24 – 25 Christmas at Nunnington Hall
- 17 – 31 December The Twelve Days of Christmas, Castle Howard: experience this magnificent house decked out for Christmas
- 30 Yuletide Museum at Night, Ryedale Folk Museum, Hutton le Hole
- 30 Christmas at Dalby Forest
- 30 Christmas Lights switch on, Helmsley Town Hall
- 1 Christmas Lights, Thornton le Dale
- 1 – 2, A Victorian Christmas, Ryedale Folk Museum, Hutton le Hole
- 1 – 2, 7 – 9, 14 – 16 Christmas at Dalby Forest
- 1 – 2, 8 – 9, 15 – 16, 22 – 23 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- 1 – 2, 8 – 9, 15 – 16 Christmas at Nunnington Hall
- 1 – 16 Helmsley Christmas Tree Festival, All Saints Church, Helmsley
- 1 – 23 Christmas Opening, Burton Agnes Hall
- 1 – 31 The Twelve Days of Christmas, Castle Howard: experience this magnificent house decked out for Christmas
- 7 – 9 Robin Hood's Bay 25th Victorian Weekend, Robin Hood's Bay
Major events 2019
- 15 February - 3 March Dark Skies Festival
- 23 - 29 June Rosedale Wildlife Week: seven days of wildlife themed walks, family activities, talks and workshops
- Looking after
- About us