Major festivals and events
Due to COVID-19, this section of our website may not have the latest updates regarding externally-run events. Most events in the near future have been cancelled, while others, subject to any lockdown extension, will look to recommence after 2 December, following Government guidelines.
We will endeavour to remove cancelled events and add new dates where events are rearranged as soon as we are made aware of changes. If an event you are due to attend in December is not run by the National Park Authority, please contact the event organiser directly.
If you're only a short journey away and thinking of visiting the North York Moors, please follow our guidelines for accessing the National Park safely.
The National Park will be here waiting for you to enjoy fully when it is safe to do so and we look forward to welcoming you back then.
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
More art than agriculture? Then head to Staithes Festival of Arts & Heritage in September, where picturesque fishing cottages become pop-up galleries and cafés for the weekend. Or head into the heart of Dalby Forest for Forest Live, atmospheric summer gigs featuring big names from across the music world, while we play host to a musical programme at the Inspired by… gallery, from chamber concerts to folk-roots rockers.
Major events 2020/21
Outdoor challenge events are not included below; you'll find walking, cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events listed in our Enjoy Outdoors pages. Do also take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
December (barring any lockdown extension)
- 3 – 24 January 2021 Brigantia’s Box of Delights, Inspired by... gallery, Danby
- 3 – 4, 8 – 11, 15 – 18, 31 and 1 – 3 January, Christmas Moorlander, North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Grosmont
- 4 – 23 Stories with Santa in the Courtyard Grotto, Castle Howard
- 4 – 23 An Enchanted Audience with Father Christmas, Castle Howard
- 5 – 3 January Countdown to Christmas, The Moors National Park Centre, Danby (closed Christmas Eve/Day)
- 5 – 6, 12 – 13, 19 – 24 Santa Reimagined, North Yorkshire Moors Railway, Pickering
- 5 – 6 Christmas Shopping Weekend, Ryedale Folk Museum
- TBC Christmas at Dalby Forest
- Christmas Lights, Thornton le Dale - the popular 'switch on' event has been cancelled for 2020, however it is hoped that the lights will still be on display.
- 12 – 28 Dark Skies Festival, across the National Park
- Looking after
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- About us