Year of Green Action
2019 has been designated the Year of Green Action (YOGA), a year-long drive to get more people from all backgrounds taking action that improves the natural world. We want to encourage and inspire others to do the same! Follow the latest news across the UK using #yearofgreenaction
Have a greener Christmas
- Buy locally or give homemade gifts
- Give experiences rather than stuff - we've got some ideas here
- Choose FSC-certified cards and recycle in January.
- Decorate recycled brown paper for wrapping
- Tie gifts with ribbon or string
- Make paper garlands and decorations
- Decorate with greenery
- Buy a tree with roots or FSC-certified
Say no to
- Plastic baubles
- Sticky tape
- Plastic straws
- Plastic cultery
- Crackers with plastic toys.
Our National Park Centres at Sutton Bank and Danby are open every day until 23 December with plenty more ideas to be kind to the planet.
Review of 2019 activities
Throughout they year, we hosted events and activities across the North York Moors to help people connect, protect and enhance nature and also celebrate 70 years since National Parks were established:
- Dark Skies Festival (15 February - 3 March) - 17 days of night time discovery through events, talks and workshops that explore more about the sky above. Learn why National Parks are so important to conserve our dark skies.
- Cleveland Way 50th anniversary celebrations – events, walks and exhibitions to take part in and enjoy the National Trail’s birthday throughout the year.
- Celebrated National Science Week (8 - 17 March), working with secondary schools on the MICCI Project (Moorlands as Indicators of Climate Change).
- The Lost Words (13 June - 29 July) – an exhibition on tour from Compton Verney Art Gallery that reconnects adults and children with the natural world using the power of words and art.
- Children's summer holiday programmes – learning navigation skills, how to build a shelter and discover more about the wildlife that lives in the National Park
- Health and wellbeing walking festivals including our own WalkFest (25 - 27 May), Redcar & Cleveland Walking Festival (15 - 23 June) and Rosedale Wildlife Week (23 - 29 June) incorporating wildlife themed walks, family activities, talks and workshops
- Opportunities for youngsters to take part in art workshops, inspiring children through nature
- Mindful Month – events and activities to rejuvenate the spirits and get closer to nature during September
- North Yorkshire Turtle Dove Project – our special exhibition: Saving Turtle Doves (5 September - 16 October) looked at why the Turtle Dove is so important to our local habitat
- National Tree Week (23 November - 1 December) – find out about our tree planting programmes
Beach Clean Boards
Help keep our beaches plastic-free. Look out for the #2minutebeachclean boards at Whitby, Sandsend, Runswick Bay and Staithes, follow the instructions and do your bit to help. You'll also find equipment to join in at YHA Boggle Hole and National Trust's The Old Coastguard Station in Robin Hood's Bay. Whitby Beach Sweep have a full programme of organised litter picks throughout the year too.
Help us take positive steps to help the natural environment!
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us