Year of Green Action
2019 has been designated the Year of Green Action. The Year of Green Action (YOGA) is a year-long drive to get more people from all backgrounds taking action that improves the natural world. We want to encourage and inspire others to do the same!
Throughout 2019, we will be hosting events and activities across the North York Moors aiming to help people connect, protect and enhance nature. They also help us celebrate 70 years since National Parks were established.
Activities planned for 2019 include:
- Dark Skies Festival (15 February - 3 March) - enjoy 17 days of night time discovery through events, talks and workshops that explore more about the sky above. Learn why National Parks are so important to conserve our dark skies.
- The Cleveland Way 50th anniversary celebrations – events, walks and exhibitions to take part in and enjoy the National Trail’s birthday throughout the year.
- Celebrating National Science Week (8 - 17 March), we'll be working with secondary schools on the MICCI Project (Moorlands as Indicators of Climate Change).
- The Lost Words (13 June - 29 July) – an exhibition on tour from Compton Verney Art Gallery that reconnects adults and children with the natural world using the power of words and art.
- Children's summer holiday programmes - learn navigation skills, how to build a shelter and discover more about the wildlife that live in the National Park
- Health and wellbeing walking festivals including our own WalkFest (25 - 27 May), Redcar & Cleveland Walking Festival (15 - 23 June) and Rosedale Wildlife Week (23 - 29 June) incorporating wildlife themed walks, family activities, talks and workshops
- Opportunities for youngsters to take part in art workshops, inspiring children through nature
- Mindful Month – events and activities to rejuvenate the spirits and get closer to nature during September
- North Yorkshire Turtle Dove Project - learn about why the Turtle Dove is so important to our local habitat through our special exhibition: Saving Turtle Doves (5 September - 16 October)
- National Tree Week (23 November - 1 December) – opportunities to get involved in tree planting programmes to celebrate the Forestry Commissions’ 100th birthday
More activities and ways to get involved will be announced here soon.
Follow the latest news across the UK using #yearofgreenaction
Help us take positive steps to help the natural environment!
- North York Moors Coast
- See and do
- Enjoy outdoors
- What's on
- Made in...
- Travel and information
- Looking after
- About us