Housing Policies

In its role as Local Planning Authority, the Authority has a key role in the delivery of new housing in the National Park. Under the policies in the Local Plan, four types of new housing are permitted in the National Park - open market, local needs, principle residence and affordable housing.

If you require any information regarding housing benefit, supported or sheltered housing or other housing issues please contact your Local Authority. Council and Housing Association for rent and shared ownership are allocated through North Yorkshire Home Choice.

Affordable Housing

Affordable housing in the National Park is permitted on sites in Helmsley as part of open market developments.  It may also be built as an exception to normal policy on sites in all villages in the National Park where there is local support and a suitable site can be found.

Developing affordable housing on exception sites involves co-operation and commitment from many organisations. The Rural Housing Enablers for Scarborough, Ryedale and Hambleton play a vital role in working with parish councils, landowners, housing associations and funding agencies.  The Rural Housing Enabler normally carries out a local housing needs survey and the Authority works closely with them, the Parish Council and Registered Providers to identify suitable sites and develop a scheme. Contact information for our two Rural Housing Enablers is at the foot of this page.

Local Occupancy/Principal Residence

All new housing outside the larger settlements in the Park is restricted to local occupancy or principal residence. This is so that the limited opportunities for new housing development meet local need rather than external demand. Evidence suggests that the market value of properties with a local occupancy condition is reduced by 20-25% and Principal Residence housing 5%. Although houses with a local occupancy condition do not fit the definition of affordable housing, they fall between open market and affordable housing and therefore contribute to a balanced mix of types of housing available in the National Park.

Planning applications for Local Needs Housing development should include a Local Occupancy Proforma which provides information about the proposed occupants of the dwellings.

Local Occupancy Proforma


Rural Housing Enablers:

Colin Huby - Ryedale and Scarborough

Angela Walmsley - Hambleton

back to top