Nestled within the heart of the North York Moors, along the banks of the River Esk, Danby Lodge is the perfect place to start exploring the National Park.
Home to walking trails, relaxing gardens, café, shop, adventure playground and changing exhibitions in our Inspired by… gallery, this is the place where stories are told, ideas are sparked, and the North York Moors landscape is a constant source of inspiration.
Don’t forget to look up, Danby Lodge is an official Dark Sky Discovery Site; meaning on clear nights you can experience the magic of seeing the Milky Way with the naked eye.
Entry to the Centre is FREE.
Adventures both inside and out
- Climb the walls! Try our fabulous climbing cave. Kids only – it's far too much fun for adults
- Make like a monkey in the outdoor adventure play area
- Visit our woodland Mud Kitchen for messy mud-pie making, complete with ovens, cupboards, pots and pans. It's open from spring until the end of November. Perfect for under 5s
- Get lost in the Labyrinth, following the incredible journey of a salmon upstream to its spawning grounds
- Try your hand at quoits
- Become a natty navigator – brush up your wayfinding skills in the Compass Field
- Explore Crow Wood via a short, circular, easy access route that starts in the main car park. Follow the woodland trail and hunt down the secretive woodlings.
- Join in one of our many events and activities that go on here in the holidays. We have family treasure hunts and plenty of fun educational activities for children to do
BRAND NEW: The Book Stop
We're so pleased to open our second hand bookshop. Stocking everything from crime thrillers, nature books to children's stories. Come and stop by, grab yourself a coffee from Park Life Café, browse the books and take a moment to unwind. Books are individually priced and payment is via the honesty box inside the bookshop.
The Book Stop is open 10:30am - 4:30pm daily.
Inspired by... gallery
Danby Lodge is home to the Inspired by... gallery, a contemporary space that hosts changing exhibitions of work from emerging and established artists who are inspired by the North York Moors.
Don't forget to browse the gallery shop with unique and beautiful paintings, ceramics, jewellery and more.