Find out about the latest events happening across the North York Moors.
Whatever time of year you visit the North York Moors, there's always something going on. With a wide variety of local events taking place throughout the year, you won’t have to look hard to find something you wont want to miss.
We also organise our own jam-packed calendar of events throughout the year, including kid's activities, guided walks, family festivals, exhibitions and more, all can be found on our events page.
Not all outdoor challenge events are included above, head to cycling and mountain biking, and fell and road running events to find challenge events and more. Do take a look at the monthly farmers' markets in and around the North York Moors, and Food & Beer Festivals for more foodie ideas.
See Discover Yorkshire Coast for more major events in Scarborough, Filey, Whitby and along the coast.
Traditional Yorkshire country shows are an integral part of summer, one of the finest being the Ryedale Show, near Kirkbymoorside, always held on the last Tuesday in July. We’re talking sheep-dog trials, shire horses, champion cattle, ferret roulette and improbably large vegetables – with similar events at another dozen or so local shows to follow throughout August and September.
Year of the Coast 2023
It's a big year as we celebrate Year of the Coast 2023, marking the creation of the new England Coast Path and a year-long programme of events occurring around the whole of England’s coastline, from major festivals to local food markets, arts trails and water sports. We'll have special events, family activities, exhibitions and more as we showcase the very best of the National Park coast.
Look for the * symbol below and head to our coastal pages to find out more.
- 1 – 14 January 2024 Inspired by... Christmas, Inspired by… gallery, Danby
- 1 – 5 January 2024 Merry Mouse and the bedtime stories trail, Danby Lodge and Sutton Bank
- 1 – 2 January 2024 Christmas in Neverland at Castle Howard - experience this magnificent house decked out
- 1 – 17 Christmas through the ages, Nunnington Hall (open Friday to Sunday)
- 1 – 21 Oh Yes It Is ... A Fairytale Christmas, Ormesby Hall (open Friday - Monday plus daily 18 - 21 December)
- 2 Christmas Lights Switch-on event, Thornton le Dale
- 2 – 3 Robin Hood's Bay Victorian Weekend, Robin Hood's Bay
- 2 – 3 Winter Open Studios, North Yorkshire Open Studios
- 2 – 3 Malton Christmas Festival, Malton
- 2 – 3 Kirkleatham Georgian Christmas, Kirkleatham Museum
- 2 – 3 Whitby Krampus Run, Whitby
- 2 Saltburn Christmas Parade and Light Switch On, Saltburn
- 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24 Santa Specials, North Yorkshire Moors Railway (from Pickering and Grosmont)
- 2, 3, 5 – 10 1812 Pantomime - Cinderella, Helmsley Arts Centre
- 2 - 16 Helmsley Christmas Tree Festival, All Saints Church, Helmsley
- 5 Guisborough Christmas Parade
- 5 - 24 Be Amazing Arts presents: A Christmas Carol, Malton
- 10 Raincliffe Wood Christmas Fair, Raincliffe Gate Car Park
- 10 Rudolph Run 5km, Helmsley
- 10 Handel's Messiah 2023, Ampleforth Abbey
- 10 and 17 Christmas Carols at Rievaulx Abbey
- 16 – 17 Xmas Shopping Weekend Sutton Bank
- 16 Saltburn Ice Trail
- 26 Boxing Day Dip - Whitby Lions, Whitby